THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pork loin can be a bugger. It can easily go dry on you. I've struggled with it, too. I now just cut it up into chops, and grill it. I had one AWESOME smoked loin, and too many dry ones.

I don't think I could melt my camera without hurting myself, since it is almost entirely metal and glass, but there are worse ways for a camera to die.

CD

I haven't done a stuffed loin any time lately, but I've done whole loin roasts a good bit. My issue was that they didn't have much flavor (argues for stuffing). I've been slathering, rubbing and wrapping them up for several hours up to overnight. That seems to turn out well in terms of flavor penetration and a nice hammy color to the slices.

I cook on a Stumps, which stays moist. But I wouldn't worry about that as much as just watching the internal temp and pulling it off at 145F. I don't think you need a water pan, and hot is good for getting that nice outside browning in the time it'll take to cook through. My 4-5lb roasts have been cooking in 1.5 to 2 hours at 250F to 275F.

OK, so very dry. Just wondering if you also got a creosote problem by adding sticks at the end. Would that not end up with white smoke at the end of a cook and be pretty nasty tasting?

Noice Klose BTW....

Bill

I foiled the loin to speed up the cook so oversmoking wasn't a problem. I was behind the curveball from the start by not filling the coal basket to the top to compensate for the time needed to heat up all the metal. From there is just snowballed. The asparagus were good though!

Back