THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smoke Dawg

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
IMF
There is a Throwdown going on “2016 July Burger Blowout”
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232740
And I have a hankering for Elk Burgers. The last time they kind of fell apart because the meat was too lean even though we ground in some Bacon ends – Just not enough.
Follow along and see what we did to fatten it up to stay together and taste wonderful.
Disclaimer that it will take two posts to get it all in. the first is the cook and the second is the burger build. Here we go!

Start with most of the players. I did forget to show a few items but they will make their appearance.

View attachment 130061

You always need Bacon so I got a couple of thick sliced bacon weaves and some ½ slices on the GMG. Bacon and Smoke is a very good smell!

View attachment 130062

Here is the magic addition. Fatty trimmings from a Rib Eye we cut into steaks but it had an excessive amount of fat to be trimmed.

View attachment 130063

Used the Kitchen Aid grinder attachment for this small amount. Here is the Ground Fatty Goodness

View attachment 130064

Here is the ground Elk that already has a small amount of Bacon ends in it.

View attachment 130065

Re-ground the Rib Eye Fat and Elk together and made it up into four good sized patties and off to the freezer for a quick chill. I’ll call it Elk Eye Burgers!

View attachment 130066

Got some poppers going, mostly Jalapenos and a few Fresno’s with Cream Cheese, Bacon, and Cheddar cheese.

View attachment 130067

Here’s the burger grilling hardware a #14 CI 15-1/4” pan. One of my favorites

View attachment 130068

It is seasoned up pretty good

View attachment 130069

Got some onions grilling up in Butter. Nice tender grilling not burnt up

View attachment 130070

Coals are ready in the kettle

View attachment 130071

Melt down some Bacon grease to start

View attachment 130072

Get the pan good and hot

View attachment 130073

And the Burgers are on. Won’t take long at > 700°

View attachment 130074

Almost ready to flip

View attachment 130075

Flip for side #2 to grill up

View attachment 130076

Two slices of Provolone on each Pattie and cover to melt up

View attachment 130077

Burgers are done!

View attachment 130078

Thanks for lookin at the cooking part of this meal. The Burger build is coming up right away
SD

Last edited:
Smoke Dizzle!! Love the thread bro. Always love your drink choices also BTW. :thumb: Waiting on the assembled pics.

I always add fat to game meat and it's the best of both worlds as you already know.

You're killin me! Elk is one of my favorites. Looks amazing as is, you don't even need to add a bun, I'd eat mine like that. Well done Sir!

Part 2 The Build

Here is Part 2 of the Elk Eye Burger build. Thanks for coming along for the journey!

We’ll get right to it. Start with Toasted Onion buns. There were fresh and super soft. And big!

View attachment 130094

Mayo and Mustard of course. This Portland Mustard is real good as is their Ketchup

View attachment 130095

The Bacon Weave! There will be Bacon in EVERY Bite!

View attachment 130096

Avocado slices

View attachment 130097

The main attraction – The Elk Burger with Bacon ends and Rib Eye Fatty Goodness. Now called the Elk Eye Burger.

View attachment 130098

The Jalapeno Poppers

View attachment 130099

Grilled Onions

View attachment 130100

Hot Mama Pickles with Jalapeno slices

I could stop right here and just eat

View attachment 130101

But just add Lettuce and sliced onion

View attachment 130102

And the lid goes on!

View attachment 130103

This Big Ole Elk Eye Burger is ready to Eat

View attachment 130104

But first…………………………………………… The Smash!

View attachment 130105

It’s a two hander so I gotta cut it in half

View attachment 130106

Closer look

View attachment 130107

And the other side

View attachment 130108

And Eat!

View attachment 130109

This was one of the best Burgers I have had. You could taste the Elk, and the added fattiness from the Rib Eye (I gotta do this again). There was Bacon in every bite, the cream cheese and slight heat from the Poppers, the Provolone, onion both grilled and raw, the tender toasted onion bun, and those Hot Mama pickles set it off. This thing was a party in my mouth for sure.

View attachment 130110

And I ate it all! – Time for a Nap!
Thanks for Lookin
SD

Last edited:
Thanks Neighbors! That is funny that you two were the first to respond!

Had one picture that would not load and it took me awhile to figure out which one

Kinda slow being all full right now!

Thanks Neighbors! That is funny that you two were the first to respond!

Had one picture that would not load and it took me awhile to figure out which one

Kinda slow being all full right now!

Happens. If I had a burger out bounds like that it'd take me a while to focus. :thumb:

Thanks everyone - Elk is much leaner than beef. It tastes closer to Bison than beef but a little gamey - not as much as venison.

I like Elk steak but it does not have the rich flavor you get with beef because of the fat that tastes so good on beef. You don't want to eat elk fat - it is super greasy and coats the roof of your mount 1,000 time more than a greasy strudel.

I have always added fatty pork or bacon ends to my ground elk but the fat from the Rib Eye was so much better. you could taste both the lean Elk and fatty goodness of the Rib Eye

attachment.php

Mic drop... SD has left the building. :hungry:

Back