Electrical Question for comps

Great - my mail has already been picked up. I'll call Cindy back next week so she can note that on our app.

The key to the plug is there are 4 prongs on one end and 3 prongs on the other, that is how you go from 220 to 110. A little electricity lesson for you that do not know this already. In 220 is really just two 110 volt wires. So in your plug one of the 50 amp end prongs goes nowhere.

Now that I've read that page
http://rvbasics.com/techtips/50-to-30-amp-adapter.html
I honestly think this converter is all we need to get down to 120 volts.
50-amp-adapter.jpg

They're like $12-15 at WalMart.

Scotty, if you want to request a spot by us - cool. That would be a great back up source and I'm sure we can have a bottle of Templeton handy. Or if you're saying your generator is plenty to plan on using for our power too - even better. Just let me know - I need to dig my entry out of our work mail as I dropped it in the outgoing mail earlier today.

The W'Loo contact didn't really seem to understand the importance of getting out fast for us teams cooking LaPorte. She said their were no problems last year. Which might be true, but I'm sure everyone would understand the priority of letting the two cook teams out first if it was suggested to the other teams or strategically placing us.

I just read over the page and you should be fine using that adapter. It states that it is cutting the 220v to 110v which is what you need to be concerned with. If you connect 110 directly to 220 kiss everything good buy. It gets my stamp of approval (although that's not worth much).

Well if you are an electrician it means a lot. If not, well I guess we both took the same out of the article. :shock:

With so many teams now having 30 amp trailers, would it be worth while for KCBS mandating 30 amp service for sanctioning or is it best left to the organizers to learn what their teams need/want?

Ok, I spit coffee all over the monitor on that one!

KCBS is a barbecue society. For an RV enthusiast organization, I suggest Good Sam Club. I'm a member of both and pray that they shall never combine. Guys cooking out of the back of a pickup are where bbq contests came from and I hope we never sacrifice these less-glamorous cooks in favor of more famous teams with big rigs.

If it really bothers you then plug your adaptor and check the power with a voltmeter. I'll bet that one of the hots is not hooked up in the adaptor and that's how it accomplished a 120 volt output. Does it have a UL label? They wouldn't let it go if it fried everyones stuff. The way I understand it is the reason for a 50A/240V plug on RV's is to run 2 A/C's at the same time. Keep in mind the when running your adaptor your probably fusing everything at 50A. I'd consider fusing it down to protect you stuff.

Bobby, you will be fine with the adaptor you have. Biggest problem with Waterloo is the distance you will have to run your cord and I believe that LPC only had 20 Amp.

Back