el crapo brisket taste scores

[snip] These three need to have a BALANCE with none of the three being a dominant flavor provider.

and

. . . or one of the taste elements above is out of whack and is about all I can detect.
I have described this as being similar to listening to music.

I can listen to a wide range of music. I can appreciate the music of the musicians all play their part - and if none of the musicians is too loud. The band has to be well balanced in its sound to be enjoyable. If you have a drummer just banging away too loudly, it will ruin the music. No matter which style it is.

Thanks for the thought, Hub - it's a good one.

but my taste scores are terrible.

what am i missing?

How many contests have you received el crapo taste scores? Careful making changes on a small sample size. If less than 3 or 4 I would not change anything and just focus on cooking the brisket perfectly

Wouldn't that make crap taste like enhanced crap ? Just sayin :biggrin1:
That's a pretty heavy smokering for a WSM. I'm thinking you may be a bit heavy on smoke.

funny you say that.

that brisket got EXACTLY 2 hours of light smoke and no more. then 2 hours in foil and 2 hours rest.

Down boy! *points to your thread title*

hmmm, but title reads taste crapo SCORES.

not how to make CRAP taste better...

it's all in good fun.

but please refrain from referencing me similar to a canine. although if i could only be as loyal, loving, and just plain cuddly....

Boogie, if you have the time, run some more tests. For me, I have tasted some commercial rubs that just do not taste good with certain sauces, just to me. Others may differ. A recent example...I tried Uncle Sunny's, alone and with some neutral Santa Maria rub, it tasted great. But, with Three-Eyz, a very good rub, there was an off flavor. I felt they didn't play well together. I would remove an element here or there, get some tasters and see what they say.

One more thing to consider . . .

I think that the field is getting better and better all the time. I am seeing fewer and fewer just plain bad entries. So a lot of the samples are all getting high scores.

Just like this weekend's NASCAR qualifying in Richmond. 43 entries all qualifying within .58 seconds of each other. (OK, with one outlier.) Now that's a bunch of really outstanding cars and drivers.

Same thing could be happening with your brisket - just because you're placing low, doesn't necessarily mean you're tasting bad.

I mean, if you got third in SF, then you're obviously doing something right -

So, what exactly were the taste scores you received? Did someone fill out a comment card for you?

jayhawk, huminie got 3rd, not me. :icon_blush:

i got 13th and 17.

and podge, i'm of the school of thought that tenderness is the gateway to taste. if it aint tender it aint gonna be tastey.

imho, tenderness should be weighted higher than taste. or at least equal.

but i can see where there'd be issues with that as well.

Back