Easy thyme alternative

tcaton

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
terry
I love thyme (stews, rubs, etc), but I hate dealing with the tiny little leaves and inevitable bits of stem. Recently I was nerding out reading "On Food and Cooking", when I found a reference to an Indian spice I had never heard of before: ajwain. It was described as having the same chemical that gives thyme it's distinct aroma: thymol. Next visit to the Indian grocery, I found it, albeit labeled "ajman". They are small like dill or caraway seeds, and do in fact smell/taste like thyme. It's a regular part of my my steak rub now.

The more you know!

I thought ajwain was Caraway seed, we use caraway a fair bit in mixes

All you have to do is put thyme leaves/stems in a tea strainer.It will flavor the dish but not be incorporated into it.Remove tea strainer when finished cooking.Works for all herbs.Another trick is to put your herbs in cheesecloth and tie them up.Remove when through cooking.Good luck.

Thyme leaves. Parsley leaves. Celery leaves. It's all a part of my stews, soups, and even chili. No problem here.

All you have to do is put thyme leaves/stems in a tea strainer.It will flavor the dish but not be incorporated into it.Remove tea strainer when finished cooking.Works for all herbs.Another trick is to put your herbs in cheesecloth and tie them up.Remove when through cooking.Good luck.

Bingo! I just tie it in a bundle with some cotton string (butchers twine). Easy to fish out later.

I agree with tying up a bundle for simmering/etc, and I do the same. But this doesn't work for dry applications, like sprinkling on pizza or adding to a rub. That's where I find ajwain to be much more convenient.

Wrap it in cheesecloth and tie it with twine. The just fish out the packet later.

Or just buy a bunch of spice sachet bags with drawstrings.

Back