Dyna-glo SIGNATURE SERIES Heavy Duty vertical offset smoker?

cjomanche

Hi everyone, newbie here. I'm sorry if this question has been asked a million times, but I have had my eyes on a particular smoker for a little while and I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on it. Just wanted to get the opinions on some experienced folks before I throw down the cash.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W5R4XTQ/ref=asc_df_B06W5R4XTQ5143609/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B06W5R4XTQ&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198091107028&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11909296173485591731&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031042&hvtargid=pla-348524388136[/ame]

I've read some discussion on the regular Dyna-glo model but this one seems to have thicker metal and is rated a lot higher than the other one. In fact, this is one of the best reviewed smokers I've seen in this price range. I know well enough to stay away from horizontal offsets in this price range, but assuming this one doesn't leak too badly (and I could probably fix a bit with heat tape), a vertical offset seems to negate the main problem with the horizontal offsets (being that heat and smoke go up, not sideways).

I have been using a mini-WSM for a few years with good-to-great results, but I am ready to step up to something bigger and better.

What do you think? Seems like a decent unit for the price. Is there something better I should be looking at? I was also considering a Pit Barrel cooker, but I like the idea of an offset because I'd like to try stickburning at some point.

Thanks guys

Hey,

I actually bought and assembled this model this past weekend. Admittedly I have little experience w/ smokers (I have tended more toward rotisserie/roasters vs the traditional smoking in the past).

In looking, I liked this model b/c it had thicker steel than the non-signature version of the dyna-glo offsent vertical smoker.

I would def recommend purchasing some high-temp silcone caulk and high-temp gaskets (the amazon recommendations are what I used).

After applying these, there was little air leakage (still some around the charcoal drawer). I'm planning to put a gasket here this weekend.

Overall i thought it worked very well. Was relatively easy to control the temp, manage the fire etc.

Excited to try it again this weekend.

PS - i'd suggest wrapping the inside w/ foil prior to use. Makes the clean up SO easy.

Ok Joe Bandera is a better Smoker.

I saw that one too but I was turned off by how many "this is junk!" reviews were posted on Lowes.com. Compared to the almost perfect scores this one has gotten on Home Depot.com. Of course, I realize few of those reviews are by real 'smokers', which is why I'm here :)

Thanks for letting me know. I'll do some more research on this one.

Hey,

I actually bought and assembled this model this past weekend. Admittedly I have little experience w/ smokers (I have tended more toward rotisserie/roasters vs the traditional smoking in the past).

In looking, I liked this model b/c it had thicker steel than the non-signature version of the dyna-glo offsent vertical smoker.

I would def recommend purchasing some high-temp silcone caulk and high-temp gaskets (the amazon recommendations are what I used).

After applying these, there was little air leakage (still some around the charcoal drawer). I'm planning to put a gasket here this weekend.

Overall i thought it worked very well. Was relatively easy to control the temp, manage the fire etc.

Excited to try it again this weekend.

PS - i'd suggest wrapping the inside w/ foil prior to use. Makes the clean up SO easy.

Thanks for the reply. Good to hear it works well. How do you apply the gaskets and caulking? Lay a bead down and put the gasket on top of it?

I got the Bandera $89 deal. I've had it for a week, so I am as new as newbie gets.
But Walmart cleared out all sorts of smokers. They also had a horizontal offset OKJ:

Oklahoma Joe Highland 879 sq in Smoker
Regular: $268
As low as: $70
http://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker?sku=33605961

You could also check out if they have any inventory near you on that one. Again, I know NOTHING about it other than it's cheap. But I loved the 1 cook I did on my Bandera.

The gasket i bought was self-adhesive, so i didn't bother putting any caulk down when applying. The adhesive seemed pretty strong on the gasket, once it was attached, it was very difficult to remove (i ruined the one piece i had to remove)..

"LavaLock 12 GREY High Performance BBQ gasket smoker seal SELF STICK" was the brand/type of gasket i used.

"LavaLock RTV 650 F BBQ grill smoker sealer Hi Temp FOOD SAFE Silicon adhesive 3 oz" is the caulk I used.

Hope it helps!

Back