Dumb question: Is there a fancier name for tri-tip?

Knuckle Cap sounds like a good name for a microbrew!

I'll bet I will find it here called bottom sirloin or bottom sirloin butt. I'll look for that. I haven't seen any with the distinctive triangle shape.

Ask the butcher at your local super market. When we moved to Atlanta from Southern Cal 20 years ago, we had to educate him. Only bad thing is you pay a buck a lb. more than the membership places.

Having moved around a bit... it is more of a west cost phenomenon. You can find regular and pre-seasoned ones at Costco pretty much nationwide for less than $5 a pound.

Its called $ 8.99 / lb in our town.

I dont like that name!

I saw something labeled tri-tip at a Kroger, and they wanted $9.99 for it. I thought, this ain't it! Can't be! I'll stick to ribeyes, for that price.

How would you prepare and cook a Tri-tip,I have seen them in the store but I have never cooked one. They look like they would be exellent.

I just rub them with medium grind pepper and kosher salt, maybe some chile powder. Then put it over the coals, sear all three sides. Then close down the dampers and get temp to 300 and cook to medium rare.

If you want to get super technical-here's the official meat cutter classification:

• Beef Loin, Bottom Sirloin Butt, Tri-Tip, Boneless, IMPS/NAMP 185C
This item is the portion of the bottom sirloin that remains after removal of the flap (185A) and the ball tip (185B). It is a triangular-shaped muscle and may have up to 1/4-inch fat covering.

• Beef Loin, Bottom Sirloin Butt, Tri-Tip, Boneless, Defatted, IMPS/NAMP 185D
This item is the same as # 185C except that practically all the surface fat and membranous tissue is removed.

Here is a chart I found, View attachment 29733

These 2 are the amongst the best professional descriptions out there. I took similar descriptions and diagrams into a MD grocery story and had about every 'meat cutter' on their staff in a circle listening to them argue about what it really is and isn't. Someone finally fessed up and said they don't get it. I too ended up buying a case at the local Sams. This week in SoCal Pavillions have them for $1.88#. That is amongst the cheapest I've ever seen them. $2.99 here is a mediocre buy, $2.50 is a good buy.

Back