I don't see where it mentions what grade of brisket you are cooking. I always get Prime and leave a probe in the thickest part of the flat. I cook unwrapped to about 190-195, then pull and wrap in foil with tallow, resting for 12 hours as well.
Last night I tried this with a Select brisket and the entire flat was dry but he point was fine.
I'll use the dry brisket for chili tomorrow so win-win.

As others mentioned, I foil boat and let it get to 190, let cool, then stick in Turkey roaster~150 overnight and let sit in there until dinner the next day. It certainly helps with the meat as mentioned in previously posted videos. But boy does it help with convenience and pressure. Start late morning, smoke all day/evening and then in the roaster to rest for up to 24 hours. I did this in June with an 18 hour or so rest for my Bday and it was amazing. I stick with Choice grade unless there’s a deal on prime.

My method Is not special nor original, but here’s my post for more details if interested
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299253&highlight=Brisket

Last edited:
I separate. The flat and point finish at different temps/times. I personally save the flat for grinding burgers, and use the point for burnt ends. I never get anyone asking for flat slices.

I don't see where it mentions what grade of brisket you are cooking. I always get Prime and leave a probe in the thickest part of the flat. I cook unwrapped to about 190-195, then pull and wrap in foil with tallow, resting for 12 hours as well.
Last night I tried this with a Select brisket and the entire flat was dry but he point was fine.
I'll use the dry brisket for chili tomorrow so win-win.

Thanks for sharing! I definitely need to pull earlier.

This was a Prime from Costco.

Last edited:
These two videos are a great resource for this subject:

Watch this video first: https://youtu.be/Z0-6eUBBlg8

Then watch this video second: https://youtu.be/-6ocRbEU7io

I prefer a different method than the 2nd video. I still prefer to cook my briskets to fully tender, then rest on the counter to IT reaches 145 and hold in the warmer at 140, but these videos above are a really good source to understand how you can react on the fly and determine if you need to adjust your rest time on the counter/IT temp when putting in oven/oven temp. Here's a few hypothetical scenarios to explain it better:

1) Pull it when 65% of the flat is probe tender, temping at 190 in the thickest part: I'll remove from the pit, no counter rest, wrap tightly in foil to trap in heat, and put directly into my warmer temp at 145. The brisket will take 6-8 hours to come down from 190 to 145 and that extra long time and carry over cooking at a very low temp will finish the brisket.

2)Pull it when 80% of the flat is probe tender, temping at 195 in the thickest part: I'll remove from the pit, wrap in foil, let it rest on the counter until IT is 170, and put into my warmer at 145. The brisket will take 4 hours to cool down from 170 to 145 allowing some carry over cooking to finish it.

3)*preferred method for me* Pull it when 90% of the flat is probe tender (don't mind if 10% is undercooked vs. overcooking 90% of it), rest on counter in bp until IT 145 (60-90 minutes), put in 140 warmer. Minimal carry over cooking with this method.

These videos were really helpful, thank you!
He also has this one where he says cooking to 203 is too high which is interesting ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Er9Hdnd50Q

I think that matches my experience as well, but maybe should be specific to the cooking method. I'm usually cooking at 200-245 for 10+ hours because that's where I get the best smoke flavor, so if it manages to get to 203, it's most likely overcooked. But if you cook at higher temps, it seems 203 or even higher is quite common.

I am going to try your method #3, making sure I get it to 145 before going in the warmer.

Probe feel should be more like probing a perfect baked potato…….. leave the briskets whole and only probe the thickest part of the flat from the side. Ignore the point, don’t probe it, don’t temp it.

I like that description, a baked potato. I will look for that in my flat next time!

I'm humbled that nothing I say seems to be of use to you. I guess I need that.
I'm usually cooking at 200-245 for 10+ hours because that's where I get the best smoke flavor, so if it manages to get to 203, it's most likely overcooked.
Like I said above, this is a good way to end up with dry brisket.
The meat only absorbs smoke for the first three to four hours until it reaches about 105 or so. Once the meat turns darkish with a bronze bark you might as well wrap.
Try it my way once and see if you end up with dry brisket.
1) Keep the whole packer
2) Don't overdo it with the rub-go sparingly.
3) Cook at 250-270
4) Once color looks like an old penny, wrap with butcher paper that has been brushed with beef tallow, Crisco, or even vegetable oil
5) Be sure to use a water pan either underneath (reverse flow offset or Egg) or at the firebox opening (direct flow offset).
6) Forget the temps and go by feel. When the brisket feels so flexible that it seems to be jiggly when you pick it up from the middle it is done.
7) Let it rest in a warmed up but turned off oven in the wrap for two hours.
8) Serve. Now is the time to separate the point. Slice against the grain which goes in three different direction on a whole packer.
Or try the other tips. Btw, with Costco Prime you will get some bad briskets. I have cooked nearly twenty of them.

I'm humbled that nothing I say seems to be of use to you. I guess I need that.

Like I said above, this is a good way to end up with dry brisket.
The meat only absorbs smoke for the first three to four hours until it reaches about 105 or so. Once the meat turns darkish with a bronze bark you might as well wrap.
Try it my way once and see if you end up with dry brisket.
1) Keep the whole packer
2) Don't overdo it with the rub-go sparingly.
3) Cook at 250-270
4) Once color looks like an old penny, wrap with butcher paper that has been brushed with beef tallow, Crisco, or even vegetable oil
5) Be sure to use a water pan either underneath (reverse flow offset or Egg) or at the firebox opening (direct flow offset).
6) Forget the temps and go by feel. When the brisket feels so flexible that it seems to be jiggly when you pick it up from the middle it is done.
7) Let it rest in a warmed up but turned off oven in the wrap for two hours.
8) Serve. Now is the time to separate the point. Slice against the grain which goes in three different direction on a whole packer.
Or try the other tips. Btw, with Costco Prime you will get some bad briskets. I have cooked nearly twenty of them.

I appreciate the tips and will keep them in mind on the next cook! I know you don't like my temps, but that's what works on my pooper; I have tried higher but do not get good flavor. Anything above 245, and I may as well cook in an oven. But I can try going to 245 sooner, since I agree it's likely not as important after the first few hours.

If it gets the color you like, do you wrap before the stall? I try to avoid wrapping until after the stall when the fat is mostly rendered and 'mushable', but maybe I want to keep some of those juices from the stall in the wrap instead of letting it all evaporate away?

Looking for the jiggle is interesting; Franklin always talks about that. I will try it, even though I'm not 100% on what it should feel like, it can't hurt to start learning!

Now I feel better!!! Thank you!
I've been doing brisket for thirty some years on many different types of smokers. I've learned along the way but even now my success rate is maybe 85% though I am a very harsh critic of my own Q.
I only bring this up because I happened to find this video just yesterday and I think it nails the important things https://kosmosq.com/blogs/recipes/texas-style-angus-brisket-salt-pepper-low-slow
Yes, rather than waiting for the stall at around 165-175 just go ahead and wrap after you get sufficient color. I used to unwrap for the last two hours to "restore the bark" and have learned it's not wise. It just does not work out as well as what Kosmo does and what I have been doing for a long time now.
l don't think you have to cook hot-if you can keep 245 that should work. It is 215-220 that may work for some folks but only makes things harder and more prone to dryness. But yeah, I like 250-270.
As to your pellet cooker experience, yeah, a lot of pellet cookers are a bit smoke shy until you get to a top grade (higher $) pellet cooker.
Here's another video for you from Darion "Kosmo" and no, I have no relationship. In fact, in all my time I have ordered minimal product from him https://kosmosq.com/blogs/recipes/the-perfect-smoked-brisket-on-a-pellet-grill

Back