Dry aged beef

LongIslandEd

Take a breath!
So, I thought I would give a try at dry aging beef. I got a beverage fridge off CL with a fan to control humidity and picked up a 15lb rib roast. Here is the timeline and cuts after 35 days:

picture.php

In it goes:
picture.php

Week 1:
picture.php

Week 2:
picture.php

Week 3:
picture.php

Day 35:
picture.php

Final trim:
picture.php

Tonight, a feast!

They look great, keep us posted on the final cook...

Well, unfortunately/fortunately, the finished cook is done and meat gone. I saved a cowboy cut for me and cut the rest into steaks.

Before I had a chance to take a pic or two, the wife and kids cleaned off the serving plate. I crusted mine with cracked pepper but too many eyes on it so I ate it before it disappeared.

One cowboy cut and 8 steaks total. Another piece of meat hits the fridge this Saturday. I'll try to get a photo of the finished cook for that one.....but I'm not promising :wink:

Freakin brilliant utilizing a CL score like that!! The moment I saw your post it reminded me of what one of our local Price Choppers use to age/display their $26/lb aged beef behind the butcher counter.

I thought it was some sort of special cabinet but with a little bit of ingenuity that conversion gets you the same results.

Now I'm on the hunt!!!

I wonder if it is possible for the meat to come out just as good without the bags? Has anyone tried it both ways who can give a comparison?

IfI may ask how much trimming went into that post age? What kind of waste quantity?

It was like slicing South African Biltong (thick jerky) for parts of it and not too bad on the rest. Since most of the weight loss is desiccated fat, it wasn't too bad. The 15lb turned into 11.75 and then I trimmed. I didn't weigh it after the trim. The vultures were circling and my grill was calling me......It had to be 2lbs or a little more.

I wonder if it is possible for the meat to come out just as good without the bags? Has anyone tried it both ways who can give a comparison?

Bags are a new way of doing aging and its not truly "dry aging" per se if you look at what the "experts" say. Doing it this way makes it every bit as tender. You just need the space and right fridge to do it.

Commercial dry aged beef is not done in a bag...The bags are a convenience for the average people who doesn't have a second fridge where they can regulate the humidity and temps. Heck Alton Brown has a video of doing it in a normal fridge with paper towels and no bag. But I find it a little off putting to have a huge cut of beef un-wrapped in my fridge exposed to everything else in there. Let alone exposing it to anything else as I open and shut my fridge to grab juice or beer. Hence if you have a secondary fridge it's a much better option. Just need salt and proper settings. Ohhh and beef!!

Back