Dry againg Ribs ( St Louis style? )

I know that you cannot age pork the same as beef, but isn't aging beef also just drying it some to intensify the flavor. Why couldn't you dry "age" pork as long as you do not go beyond the listed date?

Mike
Dry aging any meat requires a dedicated meat fridge with both temp and humidity control. Alton Brown on Food Channel told folks they could do beef if careful. Bad advice INMO but if you follow instructions exactly it might not kill you.

Beef flavor is enahnced with this process. My butcher will do a strip loin or prime rib for me and it's incredible. BUT that's beef. What's the #1 complaint about ribs - I overcooked them a bit and they dried out. So why would you want to remove moisture? Some of us do crazy things including wrapping with butter just to get moisture in.

Off soap box now. You can try anything you want.

Dry aging any meat requires a dedicated meat fridge with both temp and humidity control. Alton Brown on Food Channel told folks they could do beef if careful. Bad advice INMO but if you follow instructions exactly it might not kill you.

Beef flavor is enahnced with this process. My butcher will do a strip loin or prime rib for me and it's incredible. BUT that's beef. What's the #1 complaint about ribs - I overcooked them a bit and they dried out. So why would you want to remove moisture? Some of us do crazy things including wrapping with butter just to get moisture in.

Off soap box now. You can try anything you want.
Ford, If you foil them the last 3 hours? How do you know when they are done if you can't do the bend test or check for the juices? Also, Does the rub stay on the ribs for the ast3 hours if you foil them?

D i do the 3-2-1 method. i try and keep my temps around 225-250 range.
3 hours OUT of foil

2 hours IN foil

1 hour or so back OUT of foil

bend test to see if done. or by pullback

D i do the 3-2-1 method. i try and keep my temps around 225-250 range.
3 hours OUT of foil

2 hours IN foil

1 hour or so back OUT of foil

bend test to see if done. or by pullback
Thank you bro, Can I do the 2 hours out of foil 1 hour in foil and 1 hour out of foil, bend test then rest then eat?

6+ hours for St Louis cut ribs in the smoker. I smoke 3 foil 2 and finsih with sauce for 1 in comps. Just dry rub and maybe foil then more rub for myself.

If you get down to one of the contests in West MI this year look me up. Be glad to talk although you may need to find the right time as I usually vend as well. Or you can get my email off my website http://www.glbbqfc.com
Thank you Ford, I may take you up on the offer.

I will be at the April Thaw / cook practice one on the 21st.

Thank you bro, Can I do the 2 hours out of foil 1 hour in foil and 1 hour out of foil, bend test then rest then eat?

you can do it however you want really. ive had good results with the 3-2-1. sometimes ill do 1.5 in the foil and 1.5 at the end. just kind of depends where the meat is at(by that i mean how fast it is getting done)
id try the 3-2-1 if its your first spare rib smoke

devious, Thank you very much sir, I'll try every method and see which one I like.

One more question for you guys so I get this right ok?

Do I want to put rub on before or after the foil step? I'm confused about this step!

I feel that the rub would come off in the foil if I rub them tomorrow and then smoke the next day!

Thanks From Derek!

Rub from the very beginning. The foil will have no impact on the rub. None. It'll be way stuck to the meat by then.

for st. louis ribs you might want to try a way that works for me. five hours at 275* no foil. saucing in the last 45 minutes once every fifteen minutes. many times they are done to my liking by this time, sometimes i rest them in foil for an hour or so. i like the foil way too but i've had them get overdone like this sometimes. good luck!

Ford, If you foil them the last 3 hours? How do you know when they are done if you can't do the bend test or check for the juices? Also, Does the rub stay on the ribs for the ast3 hours if you foil them?

3 hours smoke, 2 foils and 1 finishing. Is it to perfect no but close. I may not to be at eagle but will be at glbbqfc.com for my wife's wake around then

Hey Derek, in your reading about dry aging, did it mention how much loss is involved in dry aging? If you get a fresh cut of beef, say a rib primal, and dry age it, you will end up losing close to 40% by weight. Further you lose a lot of the surface area to spoilage and decay. This is what dry aging really is, the breaking down of the protein structure as well as the drying of the meat. This is why many steakhouses buy their meat in primals with no fat trimmed for dry aging.

I would mention that there are folks that do not care for true dry aged beef, it has an earthier taste than wet or cryo aged beef or fresh beef. Just an FYI for you to consider. Personally, I like dry aged meat but, then again, I like pasture grass finished beef as well.

Hey Derek, in your reading about dry aging, did it mention how much loss is involved in dry aging? If you get a fresh cut of beef, say a rib primal, and dry age it, you will end up losing close to 40% by weight. Further you lose a lot of the surface area to spoilage and decay. This is what dry aging really is, the breaking down of the protein structure as well as the drying of the meat. This is why many steakhouses buy their meat in primals with no fat trimmed for dry aging.

I would mention that there are folks that do not care for true dry aged beef, it has an earthier taste than wet or cryo aged beef or fresh beef. Just an FYI for you to consider. Personally, I like dry aged meat but, then again, I like pasture grass finished beef as well.
Thank you Landarc, And no You didn't or I'm blind. One of the 2...

Congrats on the weight loss Derek! Keep on asking questions. Remember, the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.:cool:

Derek keep asking and tring things. Just because some says you can't do something doesn't mean you can't, Dry Aged pork. Now I don't recommend doing it with ribs but bigger cuts are ok just keep a tight control on temps.

http://www.compartduroc.com/

Mike

Congrats on the weight loss Derek! Keep on asking questions. Remember, the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.:cool:

Derek keep asking and tring things. Just because some says you can't do something doesn't mean you can't, Dry Aged pork. Now I don't recommend doing it with ribs but bigger cuts are ok just keep a tight control on temps.

Mike
Thanks Mike & Guerry. I'll keep asking my q's However I will learn much on this forum & the meets!

Mike

Maybe that company Dry ages them, but some of their explaination sounds pretty extensive.

It's a great question, I think no one has a quote for "proof" about why not to do it. And you're right, we can/should ask questions about why.

Pork is one of those things we've always heard to be careful about. Remember all the trichinosis issues?

I'll have to find the data, I've seen it, but from some Food Safety/Butchers they explained the reason Pork can't/shouldn't be aged. But I've also googled after seeing this thread and some people do age pork.

How about aging chicken?
How about aging fish?

From a food safety perspective, I won't without some more food safety testing. Guess you guys are guineapigs. :D

Ever bought a cryovac'd bag of pork, straight from the company and the date is expired? When opened the meat was bad and it wasn't from the "aging" funky smells (like beef) it was spoiled. It wasn't from how they handled it, the food had passed it's sell by date.

It's a great question, but I wouldn't do it, well at least tell you testers check back in.

I can see it now, all the comp guys will start aging pork too.

Russ

Thank you everyone!

Would you guys really be mad if I stick the ribs in the oven to save them from spoilage? The due date is tomorrow and I can't refreeze them.

I'll put the rub on them tonight and stick them in the oven at 220 and let them slow cook for 4 or so hours or until they're done.

Only reason I'm not doing them in the smoker is the show, And it's electric.

This is the exact reason I'm thinking about the weber.

Thank you everyone!

Would you guys really be mad if I stick the ribs in the oven to save them from spoilage? The due date is tomorrow and I can't refreeze them.

I'll put the rub on them tonight and stick them in the oven at 220 and let them slow cook for 4 or so hours or until they're done.

Only reason I'm not doing them in the smoker is the show, And it's electric.

This is the exact reason I'm thinking about the weber.

your money, don't worry what anyone else here thinks... go for it.

What show ?

Back