drum smokers on porch trailer?

cpw

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Chad
Not sure if this is the correct forum or not, but...

We're looking to make a cooker change later this year from a gravity fed to some drums. Our cook trailer has a "semi enclosed" porch meaning we can close it up tight for travel and storage, and then open up a large awning window and door when we cook. We also put in a chimney for the gravity fed, and a small exhaust fan (like an RV style bathroom fan but more powerful).

So my question is, will we be able to cook in this same area on a drum without getting smoked out, or will we need to move to the ground outside?

Thanks for any help!

It looks like these jokers are doing what you describe without any problems. But yours might me different.

65394918_158378161953910_957377806898036736_n.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: cpw
I'd be concerned about the smoke in the garage, depending on the wind direction. You may have enough ventilation, but hard to tell. The exhaust fan may pull it out, depending on how strong it is.

Can you borrow a drum and check it out?

I'd be concerned about the smoke in the garage, depending on the wind direction. You may have enough ventilation, but hard to tell. The exhaust fan may pull it out, depending on how strong it is.

Can you borrow a drum and check it out?

Getting some used ones in August, so we're gonna do it one way or the other...:mrgreen:

If your porch trailer has a regular door that can close tightly, I would mount a nice size fan to the edge and have it act as a "fly fan" and blow the majority of the smoke away from the doorway, thus keeping most of it out of the interior space. It will also keep the cook a little cooler while tending the drums.

• Thanks
I’ve always wondered if the drums would burn the floor of the trailer.

I think most of the manufactured ones have legs or wheels so they’re up off the ground a little. Plus if you look at that first pic, they have some sort of metal sheet tray under theirs, which I’m sure helps with insulating a little bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So my question is, will we be able to cook in this same area on a drum without getting smoked out, or will we need to move to the ground outside?
If you are going to use drip pans like most do in gravity/vertical cabinets.
You should not see any difference in the amount of smoke. Burning clean of course.
If you are going to allow the meat/meats to drip on the coals. You will get/have more smoke. Even more so if you are loading up the drum/drums with fatty meats.

• Thanks
I have two vertical smokers in the back of my BBQ truck. I have also cooked with them and two drums running all at the same time. It is enclosed fully on 3 sides with only the back being open. I have a high output wall fan ($50 on Amazon) on each side of the door. When people come in to the truck they ask me when the smokers will be on...you can't notice the smoke at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two huge vertical smokers in the back of my BBQ truck. I have also cooked with them and two drums running all at the same time. It is enclosed fully on 3 sides with only the back being open. I have a high output wall fan ($50 on Amazon) on each side of the door. When people come in to the truck they ask me when the smokers will be on...you can't notice the smoke at all.

Good to know! Do you mind sharing a picture, and a link for the fans?

Thanks!

Good to know! Do you mind sharing a picture, and a link for the fans?

Thanks!

Looks like the price may have gone up, but they work awesome.
https://www.amazon.com/Hurricane-Wall-Mount-Fan-Oscillation/dp/B06XNXNPFG?th=1

I could not find a pic showing the fan. I am out of town this week, but I can take one this weekend if you still need it. If you put one on each side of your trailer door you would have no issues running 4 drums. Not sure how you light yours, but even then you would be ok.

How many drums are you looking to cook with? I'm guessing if you had a couple of good exhaust fans it could be done...but it will have to be some trial and error to make sure.

Looks like the price may have gone up, but they work awesome.
https://www.amazon.com/Hurricane-Wall-Mount-Fan-Oscillation/dp/B06XNXNPFG?th=1

I could not find a pic showing the fan. I am out of town this week, but I can take one this weekend if you still need it. If you put one on each side of your trailer door you would have no issues running 4 drums. Not sure how you light yours, but even then you would be ok.

Awesome, thanks! We have a couple fans we can test it out with....

How many drums are you looking to cook with? I'm guessing if you had a couple of good exhaust fans it could be done...but it will have to be some trial and error to make sure.

3 to start, maybe 4.

Back