Aw Man.... I had a Nasty Chute...... Now time for a Brisket cook

SmittyJonz

somebody shut me the fark up.
After coaching soccerball this morning, then hitting HEB + I find this : :doh:

AngbY9gm.jpg

Hadn't used the Gravity Fed in 6-8 weeks and we've had a good bit of rain over that time and it lives in my driveway. So I had to bust it up then shop vac out wet, moldy charcoal. Then reload and fire it up and clean cook chamber floor and grates.

So after All that I'm getting a Late start So I decided to try this Hots n Fast Stuff everybody be talking about............

Also found this in me pantry - I wonder if it's any Good on a Brisket.? :twitch:

c5Uj0fSm.jpg

iyrXu5hm.jpg

M0ftKLEm.jpg

Here we go :

07qfWgQm.jpg

ySS1nJ5m.jpg

Guess we will see in about 6-7 hours if this Black Ops stuff and Hot n Fast is worth a chit. :confused:

Also got 4 skin on chicken bewbs soaking in Oakridge Game Changer Brine ? ......... and this lil turkey bewb :

Hh6J0Rxm.jpg

Last edited:
Nice!! How do like your gravity fed smoker? Easy to get consistent results/smoke profile? I have been really thinking about a Stumps lately. Have never had a gravity cooker, but thinking I’d really enjoy cooking on one. Almost as easy as a pellet muncher ;-)

Last edited:
Nice!! How do like your gravity fed smoker? Easy to get consistent results/smoke profile? I have been really thinking about a Stumps lately. Have never had a gravity cooker, but thinking I’d really enjoy cooking on one. Almost as easier as a pellet muncher ;-)

I LIKE it..........esp in 90*'s Heat and I can stay inside Mostly ............. I'd Like it Even more if I wasn't Lazy and cleaned the firebox regularly and stored it in my garage. :tsk:

Once you Learn it and how it cooks and what you Like - Pretty Easy to duplicate most every cook. I mix smaller wood chunks in chute and bigger ones go in the firebox. Briquettes only - No lump - so it won't Bridge in the chute. I do run a Pitmaster IQ120 on it.......

I'd look at Stumps, Assassin and Deep South........

Last edited:
Looking good, the Ky Ledgen stuff is great, the hickory smoked sliced ham is my favorite for sandwiches

Chicken Done, fixin to pull and rest Brisket. I been doing Keto for about 4 weeks Now so No Taters..... Chunked Rutabaga hit with Montreal Seasoning and smoked with Smoked Gouda melted upon it and some Squash on stove top.

KYNRu2cl.jpg

56jM2qyl.jpg

Last edited:
Right about 6 hours exact..... 4 hours in Smoke, 2 hours in Paper, will slice this Lowly Select brisket slice in 1 hour....... :wink:

P.S. the Rutabaga/ Smoked Gouda is Mmmmmmmmmmm

3CEekqLl.jpg

pFwpj99l.jpg

Do you recommend the Old Country gravity fed? What are the pros and cons?

Yes for the Price....... Others are twice the price.

Cons: are it's 14 gauge and Fit n Finish ain't the Greatest and won't Last as Long -

but

Pros : it Cooks Well - I run a Pitmaster IQ120 puffer on it - just running on ball valve sometimes Hard to Hit 300* and Easy other times.......

Capacity is Pretty Good, Easy to touch up Paint (Rustoleum BBQ paint spray can), No Wait/ No Shipping - go pick it up at Academy (usually 1 or 2 in stock somewheres)

I'm dumb when it comes to these gravity fed jobs, is it not a sealed chute to avoid the rain getting in like that? Seems like a design flaw since a good percentage of these things would be out in the elements.

I'm dumb when it comes to these gravity fed jobs, is it not a sealed chute to avoid the rain getting in like that? Seems like a design flaw since a good percentage of these things would be out in the elements.

Chute door has a Gasket and raised off top of smoker 1.5-2”, firebox door has a Gasket. I’ve ran it in all day rain a few times.

Charcoal will suck water out of the air like a sponge’much like pellets. When I used to buy 20 2 packs of Kingsford and stack in garage - if we had a rainy or humid summer - bottom few bags would be damp or wouldn’t burn. Not so much because at bottom but been there longest /used last.

Now I only buy 3-4 bags of HEB charcoal - Mesquite and Hickory briquettes. :thumb:

Back