Dr. BBQ's Ultimate Pitmasters Class in England

Nice!!!
Dr.BBQ...save a spot for Padawan and me please!:pray::wink:

Seriously...I'm gonna ask Padawan if she wants to come along if it's not too expensive for us.
I'll just crash at Dr.KY's place....:becky:

Phu at this rate I'll be in a hotel myself. HAHAHAHAHA! Let's see what happens when the location and other information is announced. My suspicion is we are all going to need a place within fifty feet to sleep off all the food and brain busting. :cool:

attachment.php

I just wrote this for the guys at the British BBQ Society forum but it has a lot of info about my upcoming class in England so I figured I'd repost it.

I'll be happy to answer any questions but understand that Jon Finch is handling logistics on your side of the pond and I'm working on the class schedule here so it's highly possible that neither of us has all the answers yet. It's still a work in progress but we wanted to get the date out ASAP. We are trying to make sign-up available this week so stay tuned.

The class will cost 200 pounds per guest and if it fills up and I can get a good deal on a flight and hotel we may make a few dollars. But at that price I am fully prepared to do this for no fee. I truly want to help promote American style BBQ in the UK. Now understand that BBQ is my job and I hope to get paid somehow and some way down the road but not this time.

This class will be mostly demonstration with me doing the cooking, and that's why we're limiting it to 30 guests. I will go through everything at least twice so you should get a good look at it all. We'll cook the ribs and chicken live during the class. The Butts and briskets will be cooked overnight before the class arrives, but most of the US teams hold these meats fully cooked in a catering cabinet so it won't be much different than live. I'll demo additional raw butts and briskets and we'll trade them out for the cooked ones when it's time for presentation. I will show the class exactly what I do from meat selection to turn in for every category. No questions will go unanswered. If it gets to be hours after the class and I haven't answered all the questions yet we may have to move to the pub to finish, but I'm good with that.

Guys I'm going to do my best to show you exactly what I know the top US teams to be doing. I've been a KCBS member and cook since 1991. My member number is 943. I'm also a KCBS Master Certified BBQ Judge. I know all the players and have seen the evolution from a bunch of guys partying and cooking BBQ to the new wave of high tech serious BBQ competitors. I've cooked at the Jack 5 times and I have a trophy jug and a stack of ribbons from it. I've judged the Jack twice. I've cooked the American Royal 15 times. I've done dozens of these classes and trained many of the top cooks. Rick and Jackie Weight AKA Mad Cow began their BBQ journey by attending a class I was teaching in the barn where the Jack Daniel's cook-off is judged and as I think you all know the later returned and became the first ever International team to win the Jack! It can be done :)

But it's not all about history. Last year I was Grand Champion at 2 KCBS contests. I'm already in the Jack draw and the American Royal invitational for 2012. My email is drbbq@hotmail.com if you'd like to contact me personally.

Thanks,
Ray Lampe
Dr. BBQ

The location is a good hour and a half from home by car so I'm looking at hotels in the area.

Tina and I took Ray's class in Detroit several years ago and it was in the worst part of town you could imagine. The only thing that gave us a little comfort was the bikers clubhouse across the street and the fact that they had a good relationship with John Ford, the organizer and host of the event. After it was all said and done, I can honestly say if Ray gave a class in the middle of hell, I would do my damnest to be there!

Yeah i've done some classes on the wrong side of the tracks. Anybody remember the brewery parking lot in Detroit? :)

The signup is ready for Dr. BBQ's Ultimate Pitmaster Class in England! Only 30 spots and I think it's going to fill up fast so don't delay if you want to get in. Remember "Mad Cow", the team from Engalnd that actually won the Jack Daniel's cook-off? This class is where they started.
http://grillstock.co.uk/dr-bbq-masterclass

Looks great. The location is about half way between where my wife is from (and where all her family lives) in Birmingham and London.

Wish I was going to be in the U.K. at that time.

Several of us LIFOS enjoyed our class with Ray a few years back. Here is a pic of me learning some new brisket trimming techniques. (He asked for a volunteer and I'm not shy.) That's Paul (aka Cue's Your Daddy) on the right and Vinny (Militant Squatter) on the left.
It is a great class and a truly unique experience.

Attachments

• Brisket_prep_with_Dr._BBQ.jpg
    Brisket_prep_with_Dr._BBQ.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 113
Hey Rolling Smoke ...I think I was at that same class in Detriot ! Biker clubhouse across the street ...razorwire on the fences ... I took that class and never looked back ... Still reviewing my notes from that class and learning from the Dr of BBQ Even years later.

Ray, I'm sure you'll show them how it's done ...congrats !

FB/SGP

I am all over this Ray in fact it's number one in my diary when we get back from Australia.
I'll have to see if I can find a bottle of Buffalo trace in the back of a van. :D

The good folks at Hawgeyes BBQ just shipped two big boxes of rubs and sauces over for me and I hear some Creekstone Farms briskets are on the way! Looking forward to a good time in England!

Whatever happened to the KCBS International Initiative? It seems to have gone underground.

The good folks at Hawgeyes BBQ just shipped two big boxes of rubs and sauces over for me and I hear some Creekstone Farms briskets are on the way! Looking forward to a good time in England!

Whatever happened to the KCBS International Initiative? It seems to have gone underground.

Maybe they see no need for it now....
Ed

It's on now! Today I head over the pond for the first ever Dr. BBQ's Ultimate Pitmaster Class in England. Thanks to Jon Finch and all the Grillstock folks for all the help and thanks to everybody who signed up. I even hear that Dr. Sweetsmoke is joining us! Can't wait to see him.

Back