THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HUGE difference in flavor produced from pellet grill to pellet grill. I know you're disgusted with the MAK, but have you tried calling MAK's CS? They've been so good to most of us owners, I know they'd bend over backwards to make it right, if you are so inclined. I mean, that's a big investment to give up on.
That said, I have a Primo XL and have had great cooks on it, however it is very, very heavy, but 4 healthy guys could move it. I also have a kettle and have had great 2 zone cooks on it, however it tends to take more tending to.
Good luck with the search.

I'm wondering how that works.

How can smoke coming from off of burned Lumberjack Hickory pellets on a MAK, smell differently, or give a different flavor to food than the same burned Lumberjack Hickory pellets burned on a Traeger, seeing as how it would both be the same smoke coming off of the same burned pellets which was flavoring the food?

I'm wondering how that works.

How can smoke coming from off of burned Lumberjack Hickory pellets on a MAK, smell differently, or give a different flavor to food than the same burned Lumberjack Hickory pellets burned on a Traeger, seeing as how it would both be the same smoke coming off of the same burned pellets?

I'm not an expert at the controller programs, however that's where the difference is. Someone with more knowledge may chime in. I can say, in my experience with a Traeger, a Green Mountain Grill and a MAK, the flavor difference is amazing.
Sorry...don't want to hijack this thread. Back to the subject at hand.

I'm not an expert at the controller programs, however that's where the difference is. Someone with more knowledge may chime in. I can say, in my experience with a Traeger, a Green Mountain Grill and a MAK, the flavor difference is amazing.

I don't want to hijack it either. But I'm here to learn too.

But while I can see buying one pellet grill over the other based on build quality, customer service, features, footprint. I'm still trying to determine how food obtaining smoke flavor using the same burned pellets from the same bag, would taste different, or whether this is a placebo effect or outright myth. I'm leaning towards the latter.

But you are right. Back to the subject at hand.

I don't want to hijack it either. But I'm here to learn too.

But while I can see buying one pellet grill over the other based on build quality, customer service, features, footprint. I'm still trying to determine how food obtaining smoke flavor using the same burned pellets from the same bag, would taste different, or whether this is a placebo effect or outright myth. I'm leaning towards the latter.

But you are right. Back to the subject at hand.

When you spend an extra $3 grand+ on something you have to convince yourself it was worth it somehow.

As mentioned the Mak wasn’t light so you probably could get something else pretty big up there. That said, with a bias towards grilling I’d lean towards the 26” kettle. (I’m a fan of the slow and sear as well). Little more work to smoke with but not hard and you also have the chubby to supplement. The summit charcoal would be a good a very good choice as well. Both are easier to move than a ceramic.

The M1 looks great to me but I’d want to also try burning logs and I’m not thrilled about doing that on a deck (my situation as well). You’re also likely pushing the limits on getting it up there.

I didn’t look up the weight but you could also consider an Assassin

For a good basic charcoal grill, you can't beat the Weber Kettle and they are easy to move. Since you already have a smoker, you don't even need the SnS.

I've noticed this as well with my Davy Crockett and Pit Boss Copperhead. Another vote for the 26" Kettle.

Back