Dome lid for UDS

I bought a cheap Weber knock off at HD, I used the lid for one, I'll be using the bottom for another. I cut out the flat lid and tack welded the dome lid in place and used high temp RTV to make sure it was sealed. My flat lids fit really tight to the drum.

Well, we need a little more info than that... Who makes it? It also depends on your drum. They are not all the same size. I find that a 22-1/2" weber kettle lid will fit perfectly on most drums turned upside down. Cut the bottom out and weld in the top.

I am thinking about buying a used 55 gallon 304 stainless steel drum, for $150, and doing this with it as it does not have a removable top. Gonna take my 22.5 weber lid with me when I head down to Dallas -- that's where this guy sells them. Between the Weber lid, 304 stainless drum and stainless steel hardware it should last me the rest of my years. :)

Wait, I might not have to invert it.. the top might be the same diamter as bottom.. I'll see. If so I can just cut out the top :)

This is the guy's craiglist posting: http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/for/4254352998.html

I bought the el-cheapie kettle from Wally World and incorporated the lid,hinges,and both grates into my UDS. Plus I got it on sale for 20.00. I had to flatten out the lip of the lid and then hammer it back over the edge of the drum. All in all I think I did good.

Back