Does this sound right?

backyardchef said:
Hey Ed-- have you ever come across a cut of meat that didn't respond well (or couldn't get done properly) via the hot and fast method? I've only just recently experimented with it and enjoyed the product, but haven't tried that much...Do you think a full packer can be cooked that way? I'd be afraid it wouldn't render enough.....

I'm not Ed either, but he has given me some pointers... Here is a 10# brisket.

c3bb8edd.jpg

92079e0e.jpg

e1931a64.jpg

d7389712.jpg

FRESH PULLED-PORK SHOULDER
Whole pork shoulder that’s been smoked for over 6 hours.

It doesn't say it's slow smoked....I bet an Old Hickory churning away at 400* could do it in a little over 6 hours....

Thanks, guys....interesting stuff. That brisket looks amazing, Wayne! If anyone wants to pm me some tips, I'd be very appreciative. Like I said, I've done a few flats this way with success.....

backyardchef said:
Thanks, guys....interesting stuff. That brisket looks amazing, Wayne! If anyone wants to pm me some tips, I'd be very appreciative. Like I said, I've done a few flats this way with success.....

I have been following some posts about Myron Mixon's success with cooking at higher temps, gathering bits of info here and there. Ed kicked in some ideas because I couldn't get the bark the way I wanted it, Phil (EDIT - it was Tim) mentioned his preference on cook temps and everyone it seems uses long resting times. It would probably be best to post some of that general information here. Maybe a new thread??

EDIT - Here is a link to my earlier thread:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21943&highlight=brisket

This style of cooking is not something I would do all of the time, but it is nice to get a brisket on in the morning and off the cooker into a cooler by 2:00.

At a cookoff it's nice to get 6 or so hours of sleep, fire off the cooker at 3:30 have the brisket off at 8 and the butts at 9...plenty of time to focus on ribs and chicken.

It's also nice when catering a bbq dinner for 400 to have the pork out and getting happy in coolers at 6 a.m. so you can focus on the rest of the job. Serving all the guests in 25 minutes was nice too.

For the record, Myron cooks shoulder and whole hog at lower temps.

Back