THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What about rotisersie a full bird????

Works great!! :mrgreen:

DSC03504.jpg

12 pounder on the UDS at around 325° to 340°.

After the first hour or so, you may need to adjust the forks because the bird will shrink a bit. :icon_blush:

DSC03502.jpg

Truss it Alton Brown style and it won't flop at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auQB7D_xB0I

It will even stay put after you take off the strings.

DSC03506.jpg

Main reasons I have heard NOT to go low and slow is danger zone issues especially being poultry and really no benefit as far as tenderness goes.

Dave

i have done them at 250 and then pusheed the temps up towards the end to brown thinks up. Skin was somewhat dough and rubbery and the meat was "too smokey" for my family.

i find it better to do it at 325. Its wood roasted, still has some smoke flavor.

I did a "Budget" turkey cook today. I cooked 20 turkeys in my "Bushrod" smoker for the (NVCCSS) "North Valley Catholic Children's Social Services." These were 20 pound turkeys and I did not brine them, and I did not use fancy rubs. I simply spiced with McCormick's "Montreal Chicken" and loaded them in the smoker. The smoker was at 300 degrees but dropped to 190 degrees after the 20 turkeys were loaded. It took 2 hours to get the smoker back up to 250 degrees. I cooked the turkeys for 11 hours and stoked wood in the last hour to finish at 350 degrees. The skin was crispy, the meat was moist and every one was happy.

These were 49 cent per pound turkeys on special. I must do an experiment now with 2 different turkeys---one low budget and one with brining, special spices etc. I do not think that there was much difference in quality on the finished product.

We do turkey 3 ways for Thanksgiving. My wife roasts one, I smoke one, and deep fry one. Smoke at arround 250, 50 min per pound. I agree that there is risk of danger zone temps but have not worried too much with birds less than 20#. I brine the fry and smoke birds. The smoked bird's cavity is lightly packed with herbs and the bird is rubbed.

I did the cookshack brine method this weekend. Brined 12 hours cooked for about 6.5 at 250. Skin was crisp and turkey was moist. 16lb bird.

I added a heavy coat of rub.

Now, last year I did the Mad Max Turkey that you can find on the naked whiz site. I injected with creole butter and cooked it at 325 and it was nice and moist as well and had similar skin.

I am planning on spatchcocking a turkey and smoking it on my UDS. Are you supposed to flip it, or smoke it on one side the whole time? Thanks for the help.

Back