Do you probe your steaks?

Take the tip of your thumb and touch it lightly to the tip of each finger on the same hand, take the other hand and touch the fatty part of your thumb (one touching the fingers), feel the firmness of the muscle. Rare to raw is first finger, Pinky would be well done. I like mine about the middle finger.

Make sense?

I always knew just where to set the dials on the gasser, 5-7 min on each side, done, medium rare every time. But now with the Egg, i am over thinking a little more. It seems like the only diff on the Egg is that I don;t have to flip it, and it gets cooked uniformly. On the gasser you can tell the diff when you cut into it.

Please! No more probing!
large_woman_tin_foil_hat.jpg

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1451192 said:
Take the tip of your thumb and touch it lightly to the tip of each finger on the same hand, take the other hand and touch the fatty part of your thumb (one touching the fingers), feel the firmness of the muscle. Rare to raw is first finger, Pinky would be well done. I like mine about the middle finger.

Make sense?

That's the way I learned it. After a while, you just know how it looks, smells and feels when it's perfect, no probe necessary.

I do probe sometimes, but I just love to test just how the meat feels.

Back