THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yes i stated in the 1st page that i checked the original throwdown thread and seen it was indeed sirloin, just trimmed really well. The long trim and thick cut threw me off.

My Kroger here has sirloin cut that looks like flat irons and also thick little sirloin filets or sirloin medallions I think as its labeled.
All these are in the fresh case not the pre packaged case.

My Kroger here has sirloin cut that looks like flat irons and also thick little sirloin filets or sirloin medallions I think as its labeled.
All these are in the fresh case not the pre packaged case.

Well, a few grocery chains stopped butchering their meats even before covid, the few that still do "some" butchering are not doing them due to covid. Even the deli area is call ahead, no tickets given out.

Well, a few grocery chains stopped butchering their meats even before covid, the few that still do "some" butchering are not doing them due to covid. Even the deli area is call ahead, no tickets given out.

dude that sucks and sorry to hear that about your area and stores.

Well crap. There is a contradiction between the category description and the Throwdown title. It's "sirloin", not top sirloin. In my haste to get the announcement up, I suffered a minor brain disconnect. :mad:

I will fix this in the TD subforum thread, and get a mod to fix this, too.

Sooooo....sirloin and top sirloin are two different things and “sirloin” not “top sirloin” is the allowable TD submission? I’ve always kinda considered them one in the same from the non-steak area subprimal.

Sooooo....sirloin and top sirloin are two different things and “sirloin” not “top sirloin” is the allowable TD submission? I’ve always kinda considered them one in the same from the non-steak area subprimal.

We fixed the TD title to match the category description, which would include all the parts of the sirloin, not just the most commonly known "Top Sirloin".

From Spruce Eats:

Beef sirloin is another large section of the carcass that runs from the 13th rib all the way back to the hip bone and from the backbone clear down to the flank (or belly).

The full sirloin is itself subdivided into top sirloin and bottom sirloin. Top sirloin is generally fabricated into steaks that are good for grilling. Since the sirloin is closer to the rear leg of the animal, the muscles get a bit tougher. Still, a first-cut sirloin steak—sometimes called a pin-bone steak because it includes a section of the hip bone—is very similar to a porterhouse.

After separating it from the top sirloin, the bottom sirloin is usually divided into three main components: the tri-tip, ball tip, and flap, which do well with roasting and barbecuing (and they are sometimes made into ground beef).

Although it's not obvious in a two-dimensional diagram, the back end of the tenderloin, called the butt tender, is also situated within the sirloin, and it's either removed altogether when fabricating a whole tenderloin, or the back end is sold as a roast.

Back