Do you have a favorite brush/method/tool for cleaning grates?

I have one of these Char Broil nylon brushes.

2af47b104731f7e2ea6b5c24e167419a_8666894.png

A cheap dandelion weeder works good on really stuck on gunk like after chickens were sauced with a sweet bbq sauce. Then some balled up foil or a regular grill brush for what's left.

To be honest I don't spend much time on it, except if I buy a used kettle and am giving it a serious rehab. Most times pre-cook I use my Weber charcoal rake. It scraps well and can be angled to reach any crusty crud hanging below the cooking plane.

Bought a Billy Bar a couple of years ago and this has hands down become my favorite method. Affordable, safe, simple, quicker than you’d think and just flat out cleans from every angle :)

www.billybar.com

I made myself something very similar to a Billy Bar and it works very well on the straight rod grates I have on my Broil King gas grill but not on the expanded metal grates on my Outlaw smoker.

Looks like a clip remover Robb. :-D So you go rod by rod? :shock: That'll get annoying real fast for me.

I use a wood scraper too. 12 pack of wood shims from Home Depot $1.98. The grates end up making grooves in the wood. Burn when done.

Rub em off with a wooden scraper til they get too funky,then hit em with a weed burner and a pressure washer.

Last edited:
Back