Do you enter non-BBQ comps and cook-offs?

Swine Spectator

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
David
I have only entered a few sanctioned Comps and I have enjoyed them enormously. I plan to do more. However, I will enter a cook-off for just about anything. I took 2nd in a Gumbo Championship and I even won a Rice Cook-off once.

This past weekend I borrowed a 15 gallon kettle from one of my friends and entered a the Down's Syndrome Assoc. Jambalaya Cook-off. The Lil' Spectators came to help stir the pot. We didn't do so bad...

picture.php

I am looking for a Chili Cook-off next...

Question for the Brethren: Do you like to compete in non-BBQ events, or is it Sanctioned BBQ only?

Hoping to have the opportunity to cook some SCA steak cookoffs in the future but they would coincide with KCBS contests.

We cook KCBS too often to add in other events. With my husband I both working full time (teachers) and having a 5 year old at home, we cannot cook every weekend. We'll end up at 15 or 16 competitions this year, and I had a few I had to say no to due to birthdays and weddings, and that is about the max our team and sustain.

I LOVE competing! Give a comp sanctioned or not, and I am there.

We love to compete in KCBS on both coasts, but any excuse to get together with our like minded friends for any reason is always fun. BBQ, chili, chowder, fundraising for military families, or other charities - it doesn't matter. It's always hard work and very personally rewarding. And I've never-ever gone to the office on Monday without feeling great about the weekends cooking fun and friends. So do it - whatever 'it' is, just do it.

Always a great time when one competes, it's a whole different social structure and a great group of friends. Even better when the family comes out to help/support your efforts.

Look up CASI, for a massive list of Chili cook-offs. I compete in them in the BBQ off season. Fun and only $25 entry (for charity).

Back