THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brauma

somebody shut me the fark up.
Ok, I'm getting worried that I didnt buy enough meat. I'm cooking for my church's summer picnic this wknd. I was told to cook for 60. So I bought 4 big butts: 38 lbs raw meat. I figure I get 60% yield so that gives me 22 lbs finished meat.

Now I'm told the number may go to 80. But I know that many of this number is kids and we're also cooking hot dogs.

Should I stop and buy one more small 7 lb butt? I always worry and cook too much. But I cant help worrying about running out.

Go ahead and get the extra butt... Better to be over a little bit than under... If you over then make some Keri's beans later....

That's 88 1/4 pork sammies. You may be right on the money. Get another butt cause using the word may in a sentence as it relates to amount of something in catering makes me nervous.

I just got a confirmation on the head count. 60 adults, 20 kids. Assuming half the adults want a second sammy, and assuming all the kids just want hot dogs only makes me a little shy. This makes me nervous. I'll grab another butt on the way home.

Thanks!

In my experience, I generally figure 1/3 lbs pulled pork, per person . I don't normally get 60% yield because I remove almost all of the fat when pulling. I generally yield about
3 1/2 lbs pulled from the average size butt. I would go for at least one more butt, maybe 2. Since it is a church function, I would assume no alcohol would be involved, so more eating will be done. If it were a drinking crowd you would have plenty.

Dave (A.K.A. Meadmaker)

Back