Discussion Thread -> "On a Stick!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
Our new TD category is...

"On a Stick!"

As chosen by Shagdog for winning the "Let's make Dagwood Drool" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

Jonny_Rotisserie.jpg

This was Jonny Rotisserie's Winning Entry in the Beef Ribs TD in 2010!

Shagdog said:
I'm thinking "on a stick" I looked back at the last couple of years and didn't see it done..

Wood, metal, rotisserie, whatever, as long as your food is cooked while being impaled by a long pointy implement of some sort. Bones do not count, unless you fashion a skewer from a bone in some sort of Macguyver maneuver because you're too cheap to pop .99 to purchase some skewers.

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 2/7 through Sunday 2/16.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 6 a.m. Central US Time on Monday morning 2/17

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

This ENTRY and VOTE thread will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
Ok well here we go.
The first entry :heh: Inspired by Tonybel's Yakatori Chicken marinade.
Thanks Tony. I started out with his marinade and added a bit of rice vinegar and lemon juice to it,

Here is the chicken stabbed after a 4 hour marinade

And here we go onto the grill. Wait is that on a Weber :shocked:

Here is the chicken, off the grill resting while I get the rest ready

Now comes the veggies to stir fry

And here we go.........

TA DAAAAA plated!

Thank for following along :heh:
This was some of the most flavorful chicken I've ever made.

Thanks Bluesman.

Tony sorry Bro, was just making it last night and thought dang here's an entry.
You could still do it, I'll do something else as my entry no big deal

Jed I figured it sounded better than impaled :laugh:
Found a dang OTS in the box for $50 had to get it now I'm a kettle head.......along with many other things

Thanks Bluesman.

Tony sorry Bro, was just making it last night and thought dang here's an entry.
You could still do it, I'll do something else as my entry no big deal

Jed I figured it sounded better than impaled :laugh:
Found a dang OTS in the box for $50 had to get it now I'm a kettle head.......along with many other things

Gorgeous penetration there Dave. :becky: But you're supposed to cut down the weeds, not smoke them...:roll:

Redneck/Hillbilly Pork Roll According to Phubar

Please accept this as my official entry into the "On a stick Throwdown"

I started off thinking about what to make for this challenge and how to execute it with my limited resources. While cleaning out some cabinets in the kitchen today Thalia. my wife, said " do you know what these go to? If not throw them away" I took a look at what she was referring to and thought to myself, maybe I can use them on the UFO to hold a spit for a rotisserie. Then the madness began.

I went down into the garage and found a nice piece of stainless rod. I sanded it clean with some heavy grit sandpaper and then modified the scavenged uprights to hold my newly acquired spit. Next stop was the market where I found a nice pork roll that was wrapped with a healthy coating of lard. I was in carnivore mode and time to head for the barn!

I gathered all the limited supplies that I had on hand. Amore Dijon mustard, and a Plowboy's Bovine Bold Rub.

Assembled my new contraption

Fired up the UFO

Impaled the beast on a stick and rubbed it down good with the Mustard and coated it with a nice thick crust of Bovine Bold.

Then I paused for the cause with an original Budweiser Beer from the Czech Republic while the UFO came up to temp.

Time to get cookin, after I pinned some shallots to my little stuck piggy.

As the lump cooked down I needed to lower the roast to the fire and this called for a wee bit of a improve. I went into the garage and found some aluminium square stock and lowered the roast down closer to the fire and put the top back on the roast.

Took this shot up iside the lid as the roast was nearly done

Pulled and resting

Sliced and my polling pic if you please,

Final plate with purée potatoe et lard choux de Bruxelles (Mashed potatoes and Brussels sprouts with bacon)

Thanks for lookin! :blabla:

Back