Discussion Thread -> "Let's Make Dagwood Drool!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Please consider this my entry for the Dagwood TD.

Smoked meat loaf with provolone, hot pepper spread, pickled jalapenos and roasted peppers on an everything roll...
It didn't last long after the pic!

Which picture do you want me to use?

attachment.php

It's OVER................:faint:

If Jim Henson built a Land Of Gorch Sandwich Altar, it would look like this. I miss Land Of Gorch.

Official Dagwood's drooling entry. :thumb:

I was going to smoke a pastrami, turkey, and roast beef and pile up a Dagwood but Mongo had to fark that plan up when he called the chuck roast TD (good call by the way :thumb:.

So since I'm a sucker for a double entry I present my Portuguese pulled chuck Dagwood.

It all started with a trip to Costco.

Normally I'd hit it w/ S&P, allspice and granulated garlic but I just hit it with some Ted and Barneys and onto the WSM for about 4 hrs.

While the WSM was doing its thing I started the braising liquid by rendering some slab bacon.

Then saute'd 3 onions 8 cloves of garlic (smashed).

Added 2 bay leaves, 1/2 can of tomato paste, 5 peppercorns, 5 whole cloves, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tbsp sweet paprika, 1 tbsp smoked paprika and about 1 cup of dry white wine.

Half of the liquid went into a cast iron dutch oven then the chuck roast.

The rest of the mixture more wine was also added.

After about 3 hours it passed the fork test for tenderness.

I wanted to do a Pickle/chip puree but I instead opted for the more traditional Dagwood stack.

Thanks for looking. :thumb:

This Is My Entry in The "Let's Make Dagwood Drool!" Throwdown

A few days ago, we started debrining a 3.5 lb corned beef flat, adding the meat to a food safe container in the fridge with water, and changing the water every 12 hours to help pull some of the salt out of the meat.

Here's how it looked when we pulled it out of the bath:

DSC_2590_zpsc0300417.jpg

Not terribly pretty, I know, but things get better from here!

When Saturday night rolled around, the meat was ready for its next phase, which was a very generous application of pastrami rub. The rub was as follows:

4 tablespoons fresh coarsely ground black pepper
2 tablespoons coriander powder
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoons onion powder

All the players in the bowl:

DSC_2588_zps94f8811a.jpg

Now mixed everything up really well:

DSC_2589_zps6cc59f09.jpg

I gave the meat a VERY generous application of the rub:

DSC_2592_zps9058c1cf.jpg

Then, I fired up my UDS, and when the temp got to just under 300 degrees, added a few chunks of hickory & Pecan:

DSC_2594_zps3b1c5b20.jpg

Put the meat on:

DSC_2596_zps721e7720.jpg

Shut the lid and let 'er chug away.

1.5 hours later:

DSC_2599_zpsff010149.jpg

Then flipped the meat to see the bark is starting to form:

DSC_2600_zps5d1cd620.jpg

Two hours later, the meat was done as it probed like butter in all four quadrants of the flat. Took the meat off the drum, then lit it sit in the kitchen on a covered plate for about 3 hours, then into the fridge covered in foil for another 2 hours.

Time to prep - here's how the meat looked before it went to the slicer:

DSC_2631_zps784b12d7.jpg

I know, it looks like a blackened ember almost, but this IS pastrami - you want a nice good bark.

Now The Missus took over, and began slicing the meat with our electric slicer. Deli thin slices, of course!

DSC_2632_zps90eeb43b.jpg

When all the meat was sliced, it then was steamed as the final phase to bring it to its full, moist and tender potential.

A sammich was then made. We wanted to see how much meat we could pile onto two pieces of bread...and well...we used up the entire pastrami! Sammich was served with pickles and chips, as per the special rules.

Please use the below shot as my official entry in this TD:

TDentryshot_zps061e7ae6.jpg

Just in case you'd like to take a closer look.

DSC_2645xtremecloseup_zpsc29ee191.jpg

Last edited:
Please accept this Official Entry into the "Let's Make Dagwood Drool!" TD.

This is my entry titled, "Greek Island Sandwich".

It took me a long time to figure out what I could do new with a sandwich and here's what I came up with.

Made a simple rub of olive oil, black peppercorns, raw sea salt, granulated garlic and dried oregano. Whizzed it around in the spice grinder and sprinkled it on.

Made my own plain Greek yogurt with 6% Balkan yogurt. It sat in the fridge draining for about 4.5 hours and gave me a cup of whey as a by-product. This cup of whey can be used to boost the protein content of smoothies, muffins, cream soups (instead of the stock), etc..

I intended to dress the Greek salad component of the sandwich with olive oil, lemon juice and dried oregano. I wanted to make sure overall the sandwich was not soggy so I eliminated a few things. Lemon juice in this tzatziki is replaced with lemon zest and I did not put cucumbers in it. Still added the black pepper, salt, minced green onion, smashed and minced fresh garlic and some cracked coriander seed. Sat it back in the fridge to marry.

Seeded the cucumber and tomato, too, to reduce wetness in the salad. Spun the lettuce dry and chopped the green onion.

One of my favourite breads!

A layer of tzatziki on both slices after toasting in the oven.

A layer of lamb warmed up in the oven.

A layer of Greek salad.

And repeat, then top it. Please use the photo below for voting.

Dreaming up, making and finally eating this sandwich was an adventure. Every bite was complete chaos with stuffing falling out but who cares? It was darn delicious! Will definitely be doing this again.

Thanks for looking!

Dang there are some amazing sammiches in here.

Moose that looks really farkin good :hungry:

Will Work for BBQ thanks, that one is amazing as well.

Don't forget to mention your official enrty pic though........

There is some really good sammiches here. I still have one layer left for lunch today, but I would still take a bite of every one of these sammiches

...Made a simple rub of olive oil, black peppercorns, raw sea salt, granulated garlic and dried oregano. Whizzed it around in the spice grinder and sprinkled it on.

OK this is a bit unrelated to your delicious-looking cook session, but this photo reminded me of this pic I took in Havana a couple weeks ago...

IMG_2831.JPG

--Jonny Rotisserie

That's funny, Johnny. I had the same sort of idea when I was posting it and I wasn't in Havana. :laugh: The two dark spots directly below the garlic container looked like eyes and the narrow edge like the face and nose.

I'm still reading through this entry thread, I'm down to the bottom of page three. I wanted to tell you how much I liked your cook thread. It was simple and delicious looking, I would have loved to join in eating that. That you just happened to be wandering around the Arizona desert and entered with what was at hand has great appeal, plus, I've always wanted to rotisserie something. I'll be working on getting my spin on this summer, can't wait to cook breadfruit that way.

Back