Discussion Thread: BBQ Brethren "Let's Do It Aussie Style" Throwdown! (Non-Quality, Possibly Delinquent Discussion *BE WARNED*)

I've had a hankering for lamb lately, now the question becomes chops or rack of?
Elmer_Fudd.png

I weally don't know if it's wight to take a whole piece of wamb wike that and make infewior chops. I say wack off.

It's a choice between loin chops like these guys
smallloinlambchops_zps80a87300.jpg

or a rack. I'd never desecrate a whole rack by cutting it down into little lamb lollipops. (Or would I?)

Last edited:
Discussion Thread: IN PROGRESS-> BBQ Brethren "Let's Do It Aussie Style" Throwd

Chuck a shrimp on the barbie?
ehana2ed.jpg

Titch you have placed us at a disadvantage, its not lamb season down here...

It's a choice between loin chops like these guys
smallloinlambchops_zps80a87300.jpg

or a rack. I'd never desecrate a whole rack by cutting it down into little lamb lollipops. (Or would I?)

We've gotten the chops and the rack of lamb at Costco on many occasions. The rack is preferred. I enjoy very much cooking it whole as it is a beautiful presentation and is delicious, but the last few times I've cut it down into lollipops.

We've gotten the chops and the rack of lamb at Costco on many occasions. The rack is preferred. I enjoy very much cooking it whole as it is a beautiful presentation and is delicious, but the last few times I've cut it down into lollipops.

I've also done both before and they're both excellent. Seems that around here Costco is the only place to get lamb that won't cost you an arm and a leg. For the cut down rack do you do a 1 or 2 bone chop?

Sometimes your the hammer, and others the Nail! Epic Fail TD

I have been working on this TD since it was posted. I consider myself a decent cook. But I have to admit that I bit off more than I could chew on this one. My initial plan was to make spicy curried lamb sausages, accompanied with the usual eggs, chips and beans. Thank God I didn't get that far, right now my costs are out of control for a TD. Especially since my wife won't eat Lamb! I had my butcher grind me a mix of 15% fat lamb, coarse. To which I added 1/2 lb of my own ground pork that was rich in fat. Spices added were as follows:
1 part red curry powder
1 part yellow curry powder
smidgen of Bhut Jolokia aka Ghost Pepper powder (My buddy grows these)
2 part onion flakes
1 part smoked paprika
2 parts macerated coconut
1 part corriander seeds
1 part fennel seeds

I thought I was off to a really good start. Mixed the sausage, stuffed it into natural hog casings, let it rest over night in my walk-in fridge.

Tonight while making dinner as usual, turkey meatballs and spaghetti. "Spag Bog" I smoked the lamb sausages over a low fire -200 degrees, while I was frying the meatballs on the side burner of the gasser. The snags looked great, I was so farking happy, when they were done smoking I took the smallest one of the bunch and tasted it. OMG It tasted like CHIT! I am sitting in my kitchen trying to figure out where I went wrong. I'm sure I over mixed the filling and lost the coarse grind! It was dry like sawdust and was missing any of the "fatty" like sausage Umami.

Oh man, I hate when a batch of sausage goes wrong like that. It really farking sucks.

To be honest though...if they looked good...we might not have been any wiser!:heh: This place runs on the honor system, and you certainly have plenty of that!:thumb:

To be honest, MANY have posted dishes that they thought tasted like crap (maybe even myself), and even said they tasted like crap but posted them any way, and they even get VOTES!:shock::der: When the dish is fully assembled and then you find out it's not that good...why not? You already did the effort.

I guess in this case, I wouldn't want to make another dish using bad ingredients, so this REALLY sucks for you. Sorry to hear.

Did you get any pics of the sausage? You could post those and enter them? I think a number of folks do sympathy votes for some reason...and it can be fun getting those on a dish gone wrong (at least I think so). I got votes for grinding a bunch of McRibs into a farking meatloaf...and it tasted every bit as "good" as you would expect!:laugh:

I can't figure out why folks vote for some of the things they do sometimes.:der:

I have been working on this TD since it was posted. I consider myself a decent cook. But I have to admit that I bit off more than I could chew on this one. My initial plan was to make spicy curried lamb sausages, accompanied with the usual eggs, chips and beans. Thank God I didn't get that far, right now my costs are out of control for a TD. Especially since my wife won't eat Lamb! I had my butcher grind me a mix of 15% fat lamb, coarse. To which I added 1/2 lb of my own ground pork that was rich in fat. Spices added were as follows:
1 part red curry powder
1 part yellow curry powder
smidgen of Bhut Jolokia aka Ghost Pepper powder (My buddy grows these)
2 part onion flakes
1 part smoked paprika
2 parts macerated coconut
1 part corriander seeds
1 part fennel seeds

I thought I was off to a really good start. Mixed the sausage, stuffed it into natural hog casings, let it rest over night in my walk-in fridge.

Tonight while making dinner as usual, turkey meatballs and spaghetti. "Spag Bog" I smoked the lamb sausages over a low fire -200 degrees, while I was frying the meatballs on the side burner of the gasser. The snags looked great, I was so farking happy, when they were done smoking I took the smallest one of the bunch and tasted it. OMG It tasted like CHIT! I am sitting in my kitchen trying to figure out where I went wrong. I'm sure I over mixed the filling and lost the coarse grind! It was dry like sawdust and was missing any of the "fatty" like sausage Umami.

I have never eaten a Lamb sausage:twitch:
Would be as dry as chitt.
Remove from the skins and make them into Kofta

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, Hometruckin. I think we've all had disasters, I've had my share. Condolences for your grocery budget.

Back