Discussion Thread -> "BACON!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Just going by past DQ's, if you were talking to me.

RiG6LBG6T.jpeg

:becky:

****MODERATOR NOTE****

Folks, if it's not already plainly obvious, the phrase "That's it" used in the announcement post was merely a closing sentence, NOT a special rule. This Throwdown is an "open" bacon category, meaning you can use bacon in this TD as long as you follow standard TD rules, as it already has been done in every single entry so far.

Got it?

Good! :thumb:

My prep work is all done....prolly go get Major fired up here in a few. :wink:

Cooked my first bacon explosion today - 16 slices of bacon and about two pounds of chorizo-burger mix with a shot of lime juice, cholula hot sauce and onions and shredded cheese.

DSC_0316.jpg

I wanted to roll it so the stripes were diagonal - got kind of messy but it worked - I cooked this at 250 for just over 2 hours to a final temp of 148:
DSC_0329.jpg

Dinner is served:
DSC_0354.jpg

Folks, if you are not clear on the rules for entering Throwdowns, PLEASE read them, especially these two:

3. To enter your dish in a Throwdown it must first follow all rules defined in this post. To make your entry, please create a post in the Throwdown ENTRY thread for the category that you wish to enter. You must clearly state at the BEGINNING of your post that you intend for your post to be an official entry into the Throwdown, and it must be clear enough that the moderator understands your intention. This can be as simple as saying, "Please accept this as my entry into this Throwdown". Any post that does not state this intent at the beginning of their post, or does not say so in a clear enough manner for the moderator to understand WILL NOT be included in the Voting for that Throwdown.

9. Only one picture from your entry can be used for voting, so please specify which one you want used, otherwise the moderator will choose and the moderators decision is final. You are allowed to enter more than once but only one of your entries can be used in the voting thread (for example if you want to enter a second dish that will replace your first one). You must CLEARLY state which entry is the one you want to go to the vote thread. Otherwise the moderator will choose for you and that decision will be final. If the moderator did not choose the photo/entry you explicitly specified, please send the moderator (me) a PM and I will do my best to correct the issue.

The full set up rules can be found HERE.

Cooked my first bacon explosion today - 16 slices of bacon and about two pounds of chorizo-burger mix with a shot of lime juice, cholula hot sauce and onions and shredded cheese.

Is this an entry? As the rules that Moose posted above state, you need to specify that it is. Also, if you did intend it to be an entry, which picture do you like us to use for the voting thread?

I was ready with a baconage but after reading the thread I realize it is a very complicated TD.
Must think more, so easy to get DQed in this one...

Please accept this as my entry to the "Bacon" Throwdown.

I wanted to combine my Bacon Throwdown with the Spicy Throwdown, so I whipped up this "little" creation. A variation on ABTs but seasonal...

The players....medium hot Hatch green chiles, bacon, butternut squash, Oakridge Habanero Death Dust, Diesel Dave's Pure Michigan Maple Syrup, cayenne pepper, butter, and turbinado sugar.

0AF4BF75-062C-47D3-822E-1D9591AA392C.jpg

Chopped up the butternut squash into strips and chopped the stems off the Hatch chiles, sliced them open lengthwise, and de-seeded them.

A03EA67E-37ED-4340-A54D-D7EDE121CBBF.jpg

Spooned some turbinado sugar mixed with HDD (about a 4:1 ratio) into the Hatch chiles and put a stick of butternut squash inside and topped it with some more sugar/HDD mix.

0EFE9D7F-679C-4344-BBBC-84ADB1ACA971.jpg

Then I wrapped them up in a 2 piece bacon blanket...had a couple pieces of squash left after filling the chiles, so I did them the same without the chiles.

84C2D54A-BB4D-4076-BA5D-A34602891255.jpg

Got Major all fired up with some Stubb's with some Apple and Cherry chunks and put them all on.

4BD28362-FADE-46A7-8140-FC732BD6F3E1.jpg

9F539266-6EFA-40D6-87E4-0F27DF6A502C.jpg

Popped open an ice cold brew while enjoying the TBS...this one was a St Arnold Oktoberfest.

F8BF97B4-2F97-4A3A-BC5D-B1A488F43A9A.jpg

60C5CEF3-0CDE-412E-AFCB-D2177C2DED3E.jpg

I also threw on some Chapel Hill Hatch Chile Smoked Sausage on top of the chiles.

Tyler and Jester were playing in the water while everything got happy in the mini...

BC2A2B7B-2963-4E28-8CFF-446B53DF8620.jpg

For the glaze, I combined some DD's pure Michigan Maple Syrup with some butter and cayenne pepper.

1FB1EC83-7D5D-466B-9349-BD46433715C2.jpg

I gave everything a couple glazes and pulled it off...

62A8EE36-5C4C-4B2A-B806-16BC99358119.jpg

The money shot for my polling pic (below)...

0B667DB0-0BF9-4285-9CDC-2C4E494BEB02.jpg

Plated. Maple Bacon Triple Pepper Squash with Hatch Chile Sausage and Tater Salad dusted with HDD...

87F07AAB-E422-4946-BBEA-28C074B99EBB.jpg

caseydog said he wanted us to make y'all sweat for the Spicy Throwdown, but since y'all obviously didn't get your invites for dinner, the best I could do was show y'all that dinner sure made me sweat (and hiccups for most of dinner)!

BB60D602-A72C-4B51-9957-927F0F756C03.jpg

Great cook. It has been said before, dog makes a fine meal. he is looking good maybe a few more lbs. :razz::tape:

Triple Threat Bacon

*** OFFICIAL ENTRY***

Ok so a couple of months ago I got a whole Berkshire hog and have had a ton of bacon, chops and sausage that needed something special. This is the perfect reason to test it out with some of Pork Chops from the same hog.

Going to make a Maple Bacon Marmalade first. Cooked bacon first, added stuff in pic and cooked down until sticky. Couple rounds in the food processor and it looks great.

Grilled the chops.

Made a grilled Romaine 1/2. Just some EVOO, S & P. Topped with Berkshire Bacon pieces and blue cheese with a little balsamic reduction

Last but not least I cooked some bacon pieces with some brown sugar, maple syrup, brn sugar to make a caramel bacon glaze and topped sauteed Peaches and Apples with vanilla bean ice cream.

Mom, Kids and In-Laws loved it.

Attachments

• image (2).jpg
    image (2).jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 77
  • image (9).jpg
    image (9).jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 77
  • image (8).jpg
    image (8).jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 326
  • image (7).jpg
    image (7).jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 78
  • image (6).jpg
    image (6).jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 77
  • image (1).jpg
    image (1).jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 77
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 78
Believe it or not, the salad is what I most want to eat. Grilled romaine with bacon a blue cheese sounds really farking good to me, right now.

I'm not a big desert guy, but I would eat that ice cream dish, too.

Nice job. :thumb:

CD

Back