THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I did not take a class until last year, and wish I had taken one early on. We got a 4th place call in our first contest, but it was dumb luck. We GC'd our 7th contest, all with no class :rolleyes:. BUT, we could not have done it without all the guys on here!

Judge before you cook, cook 5 or 6, then take a class. IMHO.

A lot of good advice so far.

But in my opinion, jump right in and do a contest or two so you can get the feel of the comps, then take a judging class, do another comp or two, and then take a cooking class. If take a cooking class too soon, before you get the feel for competing, you'll miss a ton of information - heck you'll still miss a lot of information.

Competing isn't rocket science, consistently doing well is. I barely had any idea of how to smoke meat before entering my first contest and did not have the benefit of the Brethren site and all the great information - we fared okay. Up until last year, we were improving each year (last year was a let-down with way too many distractions) to the point where we got at least one call at each contest. It took a few years and a couple classes to get to that point, but it takes dedication. Also, don't feel like you need to have all the "toys" you see many teams have with to start competing, just start small and work up. I'm on my forth BBQ trailer now, each one better than the last, and working on the third interior renovation to get it where I want it.

Bottom line - jump in & get your feet wet - have fun & good smokin' luck.

my 2 cents for what its worth.....dive in head first brother...that is the best way to learn, really the only true way to learn and, besides it is about doing your best in a comp but it is also a freakin' blast to do them win or lose....i am right there with you on the culinary school, i am a executive chef at a private club in the midwest and been in the food bizz for 25+ years and you will be very very surprised how much your culinary back round will help you out during comps...you don't even know what you do know about comp bbq cooking till you just go do one and have a good time

Take your money and invest it where you can learn the most. You will learn about ABC in a trial by fire in a competition. You will learn about XYZ in a class. You need to learn both. It is only a waste of money if you don't learn. More important...go out there and learn. Money is just paper. Time is limited.

Really? Wasted money? If you really pay attention here and refine things as you move from comp to comp, you could do really well in your first comps.

Classes will help you if they outline where you are lacking. My category was chicken. After being a CBJ this year, and figuring out what I was supposed to becooking, I feel much better about my chances this year.

I would say to at least do a comp or two. We did that and learned a lot from other teams while we were there.(Thanks, Philly Blind Pig and BBQ Guru). If you have the budget do a couple and maybe take either a judging class and or a cooking class like so many others have advised. I think getting in to a comp will give you a lesson on staying up overnight, drinking and hanging out, if you are into that, and just getting into the scene. It is very addictive. I am hooked.

Jump right in. All you have to do is make it look better, taste better, and be perfectly tender, and you win!

OP, I was in the same boat as you last year, I read everything I could about it, went to one competition to see how things were setup, practiced a bunch of boxes, and then we entered two backyard contests last year scared to death of getting last and ended up with a grand championship and 6th overall. You'll never know how good or bad you ate until you jump in for yourself and try it out! Believe me even if we got DAL, we still had more fun than anything else we could be doing.

AS normal lots of good advice from the Brethren :clap2: Agree with most and will toss in my thoughts. The information on this site is fantastic, search and continue to learn. Find a comp with a small entry fee and enter consider as part of the learning process! Take a judging class AND take a cooking class both are great education tools. This is a fantastic hobby/addiction :grin: Good Luck whatever you decide!

It sounds to me like you're the perfect candidate to take a KCBS judging class then go judge a competition or two. As much as pictures on the web help, there's nothing like experiencing it first-hand to see what comes across the tables. That picture has a smell and a taste. You'll see stuff that doesn't score well and you'll then know why, and you'll see barbecue that sets your eyes a-glow, and you'll know why.

Then, get in there. There's nothing quite like that first competition. It's like losing your virginity (really). You'll learn things you never knew that you didnt' know.

And, have fun.

Maybe it's because that's what we did, but I agree. And as judges, there were a few teams that would welcome us and talk openly after judging was over. Those teams became, directly or indirectly, mentors for us. You could just "jump right in" as folks say, but spending time around teams, and seeing more than just the frantic hours before turn in is valuable also. And you'll also find that some of the best looking food sometimes tastes awful, and some that may not look so great may surprise you.

I haven't done any comps (yet), but from what I've heard from people that have. They all say you won't learn what judges want untill you do it. Plus, if you do what everyone else is doing then you'll have to beat them at their game. You could find a new trick, recipe, or technique that the judges haven't seen but may end up liking better.

I'm another year or two from competing (need money to buy a big enough pit to get started), but I plan on hitting the ground running once I get there.

Not sure what you mean by a big enough pit Cack. You don't need a lot for a comp. We compete with a 22" WSM and an 18, plus another 18" kettle mostly used for our lunch and dinner, and some last second browning. I've seen teams do comps with less than that.

I think the biggest benefit from judging first is getting a realistic comparison of your skills vs what's out there. We've seen a number of first time teams come out of the gate with huge attitude, because "all my neighbors say I make the best _________ they've ever hears" and be heartbroken that they don't score well. It's good to know ahead of time what you're competing against.

I haven't read most of the other responses, but (as another brand new team) my advice would be to do both. Visit local competitions, talk to the friendlier teams, see how it works and get a feel for the operation. (Also, watch the first season of the TLC show :) ..) Then practice, practice, practice. And towards the end of the season just jump in, find a small local competition and hit it. You might be surprised.

That is pretty much what we did last year, although our "small local competition" ended up being almost 50% heavy hitters. O_O We learned a LOT that we weren't going to get from practice, or from classes. (Things like "put your temperatures on a board where the whole team can see them so that tired people don't turn your pits up overnight"..)

This year we are much better prepared, solely because we hit that competition. (And we didn't come in anywhere near DAL! Somewhat a miracle given the number of mistakes we made..) its like driving - you can spend months in class, but until you actually sit behind the wheel you don't know what its really like..

PS: Visiting competitions will show you everything from huge trailer pits to 2-3 18" WSMs. At least the comps we've hit so far, the majority of the teams cook on weber backyard gear. (We take an 18" WSM, a home-built UDS and a 21" weber performer which - as Stoke&Smoke said - mostly handles lunch..) Talking to teams about their gear will also help you get an idea what you need.

Waste of money?? If you are getting into this to make money, find something else to do! If you want to have a great time doing something you love, while meeting some awesome people (and some not so great!! Lol), then it will never be a waste of money...win or lose!

Waste of money?? If you are getting into this to make money, find something else to do! If you want to have a great time doing something you love, while meeting some awesome people (and some not so great!! Lol), then it will never be a waste of money...win or lose!

That's right!

You aren't going to learn to be successful at competition bbq without jumping in and trying it. There is a learned curve, but you will have a lot of fun and meet some great people while you learn. Don't be intimidated over all the debating over small details you see here. Jump in, try it, and you may be surprised at what you know.

Consider it a weekend of camping out and cooking with family and friends. Maybe you'll even hear your name called. Do a test run to get a feel for timing, and then just go for it.

Last edited:

I think you miss understood me, or maybe i mis-spoke, im not in it for the money im in it because i whole-heartedly enjoy bbq! im in it for the experience and to meet new people. i enjoy cooking every weekend. when i say waste of money, i meant just the repeated slap in the face of DAL, lol
and to everyone here thank you for all of your responses im going to take a judges class and do a few comps this year, but the first couple i will just attend to get a feel for it

I would say to at least do a comp or two. We did that and learned a lot from other teams while we were there.(Thanks, Philly Blind Pig and BBQ Guru). If you have the budget do a couple and maybe take either a judging class and or a cooking class like so many others have advised. I think getting in to a comp will give you a lesson on staying up overnight, drinking and hanging out, if you are into that, and just getting into the scene. It is very addictive. I am hooked.

Amen! After last weekend cooking next to Philly Blind Pig, I feel like I owe him something just listening to him talk to folks! A true ambassador of BBQ, for sure. Took the time to visit and answer question right in the midst of turn in times.

Hobbies cost money and for most of us, BBQ comps are a hobby. I enjoy the travel but mostly enjoy the comradery of the people who are just as hooked as I am.

Best thing you could do is a couple of practice cooks with what you have, take lots of notes on times, temps and tastes. Then go try one for real.

Good Luck, Mr. Dirt!

jump in ...the water is warm! Pick out a comp and just set up near one of us, we will help...as tomorow never comes...but should go to a judging class, it really helps..then practice..practice...your neibors will luv you!

I was in your shoes as well. Not sure what I wanted until I took the JOS cooking class. I can't say enough good things about it. Myron teaches you how to compete. My first competition after his class and I finished 4th overall and a 3rd in ribs. Jump in there and you will be hooked. Get ready, it's addictive.

Good idea to hang out a for a comp or two before jumping in...hopefully with a local team that's been around the block few times...:-D Good luck...but most importantly...have fun! :thumb:

Back