DISASTER!.... UPDATE: Long Island judging Class. Need some help.

Rich...This is Long Island NY.. local Q joints consist of Famous Daves, smokey Bones, or Eldorado.. all big chains.. mom and pop shops may allow that.. but they are just beginning to crop up... any other places has less capacity than i do in my yard..Capacity wasnt as much the problem as timing.. but refrigeration space in a local resturant may be an option.. .. :)

Anyone else notice Sir Shits-a-Lot isn't in any photos beyound the cyropac pics???:rolleyes:

Here were my scores from my cards...

Appearance- taste- tenderness

Chicken 101- 8-6-6
102- 1- 6-7 red tip lettuce
103- 8 7-7
Ribs 101- 1 -1-1 5 pieces
102 -5- 7-7
103- 1- 4-3 pooling

Pork 101- 8-4-3 -made note that it was mushy
102- 5-4-4 -made note that it wss overcooked
103- 4-4-4 -made note that it had a foul smell and taste

Brisket 101- 6-6-6
102- 3-6-6
103- 1-5-4 pooling

wow! Your REALLY gonna like the good stuff. :mrgreen: :wink:. You were MUCH more generous than i would have been.. you actually got an edible rib?

Good report Phil, and thanks for being so honest. I've cooked and done boxes at many of these classes and your issues are common. It's a ton of food and it's usually done by guys who don't really have the right equipment for that kind of volume. It's a nice thing to do though and a good way to support KCBS and your local contests.
The real story here is that this is the norm. So the thought that taking the cbj class involves perfectly crafted boxes of undercooked, overcooked and just right food is a pipe dream. The reality is the same food goes in all the boxes and sometimes the burned up end cuts get served too. Then the instructor questions the students having no clue what that guy actually had on his plate. It's a good start but doesn't automatically create great new educated judges.

Here's some more pics of the event.
Let's start out with the Poohbah - looking a little worse for the wear
philworse.jpg

Certified Master Judge - Jerry Mullane teaching the class
JerryM.jpg

Linda Mullane, also a Master Certified Judge and Purple Turtle's Nancee prepping the inedible.
lindaandnancee.jpg

Greg from Purple Turtle preps too...
gregprep.jpg

JFRick lends a hand while Nancee directs Phil
jrickprep.jpg

A brethren judges away - bob learns the art of judging..
bobjudge.jpg

And some more judges...
judges.jpg

petejudge.jpg

And to think, no one died. :mrgreen:

Bobberqeer said:
Here were my scores from my cards...

Appearance- taste- tenderness

Chicken 101- 8-6-6
102- 1- 6-7 red tip lettuce
103- 8 7-7
Ribs 101- 1 -1-1 5 pieces
102 -5- 7-7
103- 1- 4-3 pooling

Pork 101- 8-4-3 -made note that it was mushy
102- 5-4-4 -made note that it wss overcooked
103- 4-4-4 -made note that it had a foul smell and taste

Brisket 101- 6-6-6
102- 3-6-6
103- 1-5-4 pooling

How did you rate the duck?

Just got home from TX and read this--TOO FUNNY for words :lol:

I bet y'all had a good time in spite of all of the frustration!

TIM

Hey, My back made it in to two of the pictures. I was right behind bobberquer with my wife. She had no problem saying the food sucked, but i had much empathy for the cooks. And I had a strong feeling that carry over cooking was what really did it all in.

I had wanted to say hello to more of you guys, but it certainly felt a little awkward. It took almost two days for people to open up just to discuss the day. I haven't ruined food like that since my first days with the ECB, my stuff was tough because the temps were always dropping.

Thanks Phil for the food and I hope to see some of you at comps this summer. Where we can sample the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Phil definitely had the look of tiredness and dissappointment. Still you were able to critque your performance and be able to ID ways for improvement next time. Not many could do that.... Phil, not many people could have handled that volume. to most of the soon to be judges, they were probably amazed that someone actually has the ability to cook that much food.

Next time we'll all try to help to make the cook go smoother and less stressful.

Hey, if nothing else you can look back and laugh at the real huge and nasty stink bomb your son dropped in the elevator on demand..... That was classic !!!!

MilitantSquatter said:
Hey, if nothing else you can look back and laugh at the real huge and nasty stink bomb your son dropped in the elevator on demand..... That was classic !!!!

James is one talented kid!

uhhh..

i later found out that James got framed.. It wasn't him...

again.. The man behind the curtain seemingly has more talent than meets the eye... he's also a ventriloquist with more than one orafice.

Been there done that. I cooked for a class last year. It wasn't quite as disastrous as yours because I had plenty of good help (including those purple turtle characters). I couldn't believe the amount of chicken we had to cook for the class. We had rain which definately didn't help the situation. The food was definately not competition quality but hey what can you do.

Steve

Phil writes >>.you actually got an edible rib?<<<

lol 1 piece, the rest, as you know, is history

BrooklynQ said:
Here's some more pics of the event.
Let's start out with the Poohbah - looking a little worse for the wear
philworse.jpg

Worse for wear?!?!?

Phil always looks like that. :twisted:

Back