Disappointed BBQ Experience

I seldom eat BBQ ribs, pulled pork brisket etc. out. But what I have found is most qjoints have respectable if not damn good mild/spicy sausage, sides and condiment bar (cherry peppers, jalapeños onions pickles etc. I have not bought a loaf of white bread in 20 years. Most Qjoints serve white bread. So take a slice or a link, wrap it up in white bread with Jalapeno and their house sauce and be FARKN Happy.

I don't eat bbq out anymore. I've had mostly bad experiences.
These were babyback ribs with a 1/4" to 1/2" layer of thick sweet sauce poured over the top.
I tried to scrape some of the sauce off to get at a rib. They might have been boiled. They were fall off the bone, mushy and no smoke flavor.

121e2f0a-c020-4448-99d0-3a56124d43f3_zpsfab26769.jpg

22e8322a-ed3d-4db6-9bfc-90943f434f3f_zpsb80046bf.jpg

I really did try to eat them but didn't get far. :redface:

When I eat Q out, I go to any of my friend's cookouts. They all cook mighty fine food. :thumb:

I don't eat bbq out anymore. I've had mostly bad experiences.
These were babyback ribs with a 1/4" to 1/2" layer of thick sweet sauce poured over the top.
I tried to scrape some of the sauce off to get at a rib. They might have been boiled. They were fall off the bone, mushy and no smoke flavor.

I really did try to eat them but didn't get far. :redface:

When I eat Q out, I go to any of my friend's cookouts. They all cook mighty fine food. :thumb:

Jeanie,
I think those ribs just hit #1 on the charts of the worst I have ever seen.

Jeanie,
I think those ribs just hit #1 on the charts of the worst I have ever seen.

Marty, as I posted the pic, my tummy got a little bit queasy...remembering what they tasted like. I've learned my lesson. No BBQ joints for me. (unless I try the sausage like suggested above). :-D :thumb:

Most of these joints cook too much, use too much heat proof Saran wrap and too much reliance on the hot holding.

I've been eye ballin this bbq joint near my work for a quite a while. Decided to go there today and try out the brisket. Ordered a brisket sandwich and a couple sides. Total disappointed. It might as well be pot roast sandwich. The sides were okay, but already turned off by the brisket. Pretty much threw half of it away.

Anyone else would like to share their bad bbq experience?

Yes I've had a few of them.
Went to Memphis a few years ago and tried 2 of the "World Famous Memphis rib joints". In one restaurant I got the rib tips and couldn't finish them because they were so tough.

The other restaurant was just, "ok". Not bad, not really good, just nothing that I couldn't have got as good or better in my home town.

The last place I ordered brisket was rated the best in my city by Yelp and others. As OP said, pot roast sandwich. I didn't even eat half of it.

Yes I've had a few of them.
Went to Memphis a few years ago and tried 2 of the "World Famous Memphis rib joints". In one restaurant I got the rib tips and couldn't finish them because they were so tough.

The other restaurant was just, "ok". Not bad, not really good, just nothing that I couldn't have got as good or better in my home town.

The last place I ordered brisket was rated the best in my city by Yelp and others. As OP said, pot roast sandwich. I didn't even eat half of it.

sounds like u found central bbq in memphis...absolute crap

I'm glad for the time I spent working at a bbq joint. There was nothing more interesting than knowing every piece of meat that went out was going to get judged and I cooked it.........and how one slightly off piece of q could get slammed on yelp/facebook/wherever.

Being consistent with hundreds and hundreds of pounds of bbq every single day isn't easy, which is why people think they can half arse it. That half arse'ing passes for every day "non bbq" folk, but not for the people on this site. Lots of threads like this one here :p. Everyone should try cooking bbq full time for a little while just to see what it's like :becky:. Gives you a whole new perspective on things :grin:.

It's funny as of lately my hometown Sacramento California has became a kinda hop spot for bbq. There are 4 to 5 restaurants that have opened in the last 2 years. and honestly other than a packed bar I don't know how they are still in business. Food is either dry or just a serious lack of flavor. I was leaving one establishment and actually saw the pit master and he asked how the food was. I told him this was one and done and chuckled. You would have thought I slapped his child. Take a little pride and make good food, not that hard.

It's funny as of lately my hometown Sacramento California has became a kinda hop spot for bbq. There are 4 to 5 restaurants that have opened in the last 2 years. and honestly other than a packed bar I don't know how they are still in business. Food is either dry or just a serious lack of flavor. I was leaving one establishment and actually saw the pit master and he asked how the food was. I told him this was one and done and chuckled. You would have thought I slapped his child. Take a little pride and make good food, not that hard.

Which various places Nate?

By CSUS?

Oh I'm not bashful..Fahrenheit 250 is good. I actually had a good meal there. I was talking about Stickey Gators on K street. I was appalled they called that mess bbq. The fried chicken was hilarious, it showed up and I honestly laughed out loud.

And Tank House.. hahaha. The only good thing there were the tots. But those are kinda hard to mess up. Even simple mac and cheese seems to stump them. I told the waiter I'd like a refund. I told him the bottom of my Justin boot probably tasted better than the brisket they served me.

I agree with most. Its hard to get great Q eating out. Its not impossible its just harder than most types of cooking due to the time commitment to do it right. Franklin is obviously a man possessed hence the great reputation and painstaking attention to detail. This write up on Killens seems to point to the same type of Q obsession needed to pull it off. These chain operations are selling a turnkey operation not a passion. Ive noticed to that the little guys who start off right and get successful almost always seem to switch over to the Southern Prides to keep up and there begins the slide to mediocrity or worse. Not that you cant turn out good Q on one but it seems that the guys who really care dont use them often.
http://www.chron.com/entertainment/...rbecue-A-smoked-meat-star-is-born-5542339.php

I don't eat BBQ out anymore. Two notable exceptions are both owned by brethren who used to compete out of Arizona. Bam Bam's BBQ up in Orem Utah and Little Miss BBQ here in Phoenix are both turning out great BBQ. If you're ever near either one of them they are worthy of a visit, but you better get there early.

I hold back going into a bbq joints, until it has been in business for at least a year. In the last year there has been maybe close to a dozen, go in and out in less than a year, all that in about a 30 mile radius. I have not been able to eat at a bbq joint for about 3 years now. If I am out of the area, and my wife is not with me I may try one, but that has not happened in a vary long time either. We do have at least one chain Q joint only ate there once, a pulled pork dry as hell no taste at all, wont be going back even though the have been running about 5 or 6 years.
Dave

We have Famous Daves, Chili's, Extra Billy's, Buzz and Ned's, a few small timers, and Q's.

Chili's and Buzz and Ned's are Gawd awful. Famous Dave's and Extra billy's are not so good.

Q's is spectacular, and very expensive. Q's chicken is a religious experience. Q's sides are a sexual experience... Some of the mom and pop small timers can have good days.

Back