Direct Cooking on the LSG firebox

robertm

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
ROBERT
I did a big 13 hr cook last weekend so wasn't feeling up to a lot this weekend. I started missing playing with the smoker though so figured I'd just use the direct side.

I tried some pounded out pork loin steaks with onions and hatch chili chips on top one night.

I've got a BGE sitting next to the smoker but never felt like I was sacrificing anything. Have a camp chef griddle just past the egg but did't feel like I needed that either. Only limitation on the fire box is the size of the cooking space. Cooking for 2-4 people though it's great. For this meal I kept the griddle plate in the smoker while I cooked the steaks. Then when I placed it on the direct side it didn't take long to get to temp and grill the onions.

DAKUXsg.jpg

ZdO8wsP.jpg

U36sGRi.jpg

Other night I cooked some little fillets. Ok used smoker side to reverse sear but then finished on the firebox. I've found as long as you keep a clean fire the steaks don't take on much smoke. Like a hint that just adds to the complexity of flavor, which is what we prefer for our steaks. Since I don't cook the mushrooms until the steaks are resting, I might try them on the griddle plate next time as well.

XNcXnAB.jpg

BAzzVPu.jpg

Overall couldn't be happier with the direct side functionality. Really enjoying the heck out of this versatile smoker!

Last edited:
Nice use of the fire box,,,,,got the whole thing goin’ on
I want an LSG offset,,,,,

This sold me on the LSG. The versatility was ultimately the deciding factor for me to buy an LSG as opposed to other offsets.

Back