THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TXNewbie

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Someone
OK. So I've always loved the lure of the offset, but turned off by the level of attention they needed and I don't like a really strong wood flavor.

So I bought 5 months ago an LSG IVC PeeWee. Great unit.

But in the back of my head I keep hearing an offset calling me.

Then I watched a video over the course of a several hour cook on a Gator Pit and was frankly astonished not only at now completely even the temp was across the smoker, but how efficient it was and how little attention it needed.

So I got to thinking about one of their offsets that I can use with a blend of charcoal and just the right amount of wood to my liking.

Here's the question - what would the difference be, if any, other than flavor which I can control, between a cook with direct heat on my LSG IVC and an offset?

I've never cooked with either, but in my research one thing that stood out (other than the things you mention) is efficient use of space. With a vertical, you can use more of the cooking chamber dimensions than with a typical offset. Depending on the cuts and quantities you typically like to cook, this could be the deciding factor.

My next cooker will most certainly be an IVC. Getting splits for cooking wouldn't work for me, so stepping up to a higher-end charcoal cooker is key. Also, I probably do ribs for 75% of my bigger cooks, and an IVC is ideal for ribs in quantity.

I wouldn't go into an offset thinking you can use charcoal in it the same way that you can on an IVC or kamado. Even with well made offsets like a GatorPit you're going to need to be out there every ~30 minutes to check on your fire. You won't always have to put on more wood but sometimes you'll need to smack the wood to knock off some ash, adjust your wood splits, etc..

I've got a 24x60 RF offset and there's no way I can run it on charcoal...I've used an entire 15Lb bag of Cowboy Lump Charcoal to build a great coal bed to get started and that only brought the cooking chamber up to about 225°. Once you have a good coal bed established you'll want to use wood splits for the rest of the cook and that requires attention...only way around that is with an insulated firebox and that will still require you to check on that fire to make sure it's burning clean.

I watched Tuffy Stone (Cool Smoke) run his cooker for an entire KCBS competition cook and even with an insulated firebox (Jambo J5 model I think) he was checking that fire every 10-15 minutes to make sure it was running clean.

Some people may have better luck with more well seasoned wood, but I'm out there knocking off ash at least every 30 minutes. I LOVE my offset smoker as it produces the best BBQ compared to my other cookers, but it certainly requires the most attention.

My LSG vertical offset doesn't require a whole lot of attention but you'd burn up a lot of charcoal trying to use that as one of your primary fuel sources. I do usually dump some in when I'm first lighting my fire but I won't add any past that. It's fairly amazing how small of a fire the pit will run on once it gets up to temp.

For lump charcoal cooker, look at "the good one" Marshall, I love the way mine cooks!

I second this advice. The Marshall is pretty much set it and forget it and it's very easy to dial in. It also has quite a bit of room. I love mine too.

I wouldn't go into an offset thinking you can use charcoal in it the same way that you can on an IVC or kamado. Even with well made offsets like a GatorPit you're going to need to be out there every ~30 minutes to check on your fire. You won't always have to put on more wood but sometimes you'll need to smack the wood to knock off some ash, adjust your wood splits, etc..

I've got a 24x60 RF offset and there's no way I can run it on charcoal...I've used an entire 15Lb bag of Cowboy Lump Charcoal to build a great coal bed to get started and that only brought the cooking chamber up to about 225°. Once you have a good coal bed established you'll want to use wood splits for the rest of the cook and that requires attention...only way around that is with an insulated firebox and that will still require you to check on that fire to make sure it's burning clean.

I watched Tuffy Stone (Cool Smoke) run his cooker for an entire KCBS competition cook and even with an insulated firebox (Jambo J5 model I think) he was checking that fire every 10-15 minutes to make sure it was running clean.

Some people may have better luck with more well seasoned wood, but I'm out there knocking off ash at least every 30 minutes. I LOVE my offset smoker as it produces the best BBQ compared to my other cookers, but it certainly requires the most attention.

I appreciate everyone who took the time to respond. This post was really, really helpful. That was one of my questions in essence - can I cook the same way with charcoal on the offset and it sounds like the answer is no.

Knowing I like a more mild wood flavor, it sounds like I should just stick with my IVC were I can still cook well with a mild wood amount.

OK. So I've always loved the lure of the offset, but turned off by the level of attention they needed and I don't like a really strong wood flavor.

If someone is serving you BBQ with "strong wood flavor" they are cooking it wrong using mesquite or their offset does not draft properly.

Not all offsets and operators are equal. I was at a cookoff this weekend and the guys two spots down looked like they had chosen a new pope with their offset. Even the smoke smelled bad. It smelled like burning plastic.

4g2894.jpg

Last edited:
If someone is serving you BBQ with "strong wood flavor" they are cooking it wrong using mesquite or their offset does not draft properly.

Not all offsets and operators are equal. I was at a cookoff this weekend and the guys two spots down looked like they had chosen a new pope with their offset. Even the smoke smelled bad. It smelled like burning plastic.

I'm sure you're right. But for me the reality is I don't want to have to have a wood pile.

"Not all offsets and operators are equal"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Very true! I was at a contest years ago and a guy had a HUGE offset. Bragged it up and down, he had a trailer with a full chord (not a face chord) of wood. By morning that trailer was almost empty. I watched him on multiple occasions throw a 12 inch diameter log about 3-4 ft long in there. it was truly crazy to see, bad smoke like crazy!

Stick burning and charcoal burning are very different processes and you will struggle to get any satisfaction with charcoal on an offset designed for wood.

A stick burner needs to be run lean with more airflow and oxygen than the fire can consume. Charcoal cookers run with limited airflow. If you try to run wood with limited air it will smolder and taste awful. If you try to burn charcoal with excess airflow you will struggle to maintain temps and burn though loads of fuel without the direct IR heating of a grill.

If you don’t want to have stacks of splits, do not even consider an offset. It’s not the right tool for you.

Back