Dickey's Barbecue

Because I'm always looking for an opportunity to quit "workin' for the man", I happen to know the franchise here in Houston is for sale.

And generally speaking, while better than some places our Que in Houston is mediocre at best.

When I lived in Highland Village, there was a Dickey's in Flower Mound. Of course I had to try it, it was decent I thought and there was a smoker on site, smelled like smoke etc. That being said, I've never been to one outside of Texas. When I travel I always try and find the local que.

Speaking of chains/ Famous Daves. When I lived in Arizona there was one there that was a big supporter of competitions. Heck, we used to have brisket competitions on site. Cook them at home, slice them at their place and have judges judge. I always thought that they did pretty good que at that one.

Then a few months ago I was at the corporate office in Michigan for a meeting and they had Famous Daves cater. Below is the brisket pan, which the local office crew was chomping down on, you are free to draw your own conclusions.

I decided to eat the Mac and Cheese for Lunch....

MichiganBrisket.jpg

RangerJ, the Clear lake Dickey's location is currently on it's second group of owners within 18 months. This location was by our office and we tried their catering several times and it was terrible. I actually had conversations with the first ownership team, exoressed my dissatisfaction amd was willing to asist them with product QA/QC. They did not last another 6 months and the new team is no better. Too many good Q joints in Houston, so no reason to visit this chain.

Then a few months ago I was at the corporate office in Michigan for a meeting and they had Famous Daves cater. Below is the brisket pan, which the local office crew was chomping down on, you are free to draw your own conclusions.

I decided to eat the Mac and Cheese for Lunch....

MichiganBrisket.jpg

So... Dickies still sucks? (They do) What do you have better? (Just cause you offer crappy pics of a competitior) Let's see yours.

Last edited:
The one in Detroit isnt too bad. Had the Brisky and some pulled pork. I'd give em a KCBS 6 or 7. Not the greatest Q but for fast food at a pretty reasonable price it was tolerable. Best part was free ice cream!

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk 2

Does anyone know how the franchises operate? Is the meat cooked/smoked on-site or shipped in frozen & warmed up? If on-site is it procured locally or shipped in frozen? Do they have any flexibility in the menu or how the food is prepared or what ingredients are used? Just curious I guess. Cheers!!!

There a few around the cities here, it looks like they are owned by the same owner and maybe smoke at one or two and bring the food to the other ones.

We have a Dickies by my office in the western suburbs of Chicago. A few coworkers wanted to try it out and were curious what I thought about it. All I'll say is that the sauce dressed up some dry and rather tasteless meat. The iced tea was great though! They seem to do a decent amount of business, but I guess we all can't be bbq snobs.

I always seem to eat at Dickey's when I'm transferring through Dallas. The one in Terminal A is better than the small joint in Terminal C, but that's only because they have seating with a decent view. Overall, the food is pretty boring. The sauce seems very generic, the brisket is normally dry and chewy. The chicken is the best deal -- half chicken, two sides, drink, and tax for under $10 -- but also is dry, chewy, and the breast partially inedible it is so dry and tough -- I'm actually normally still hungry after this meal :crazy:. I think this is also because I've never seen such a small half chicken before. I've only eaten it in the airport and I always wonder afterward why I did. If the food was better, I'd rate it a 5 out of 10. :becky:

Well, I've sampled some of their products since my original post.
Chopped Brisket - Blah, and dry!
Marinated Chicken - Okay.
Baked Beans - Van Camps straight from the can...
Coleslaw - Barf! I mean really BARF!!!!!
BBQ Sauce - That must be where the smoke comes from 'cause it smelled like straight liquid smoke...

I've talked to others who ate at the restaurant and some who had Dickey's cater, and to a "T" everyone has said never again!

Too bad really. It just doesn't take that much more effort to put out a real meal IMO.

Cheers!!!

We had one that opened here about a year ago and it lasted about 6 mths. Every time a passed no one was there and no smoke smell. People I've talked to said it was ok but not a place they would visit on a reg basis.
BBQ chains just don't make it around here. Young kids wiring and have no clue.
There is one local, independent BBQ joint that is great. The owner is hands on and that's the only way you can turn out consistent que.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I've sampled some of their products since my original post.
Chopped Brisket - Blah, and dry!
Marinated Chicken - Okay.
Baked Beans - Van Camps straight from the can...
Coleslaw - Barf! I mean really BARF!!!!!
BBQ Sauce - That must be where the smoke comes from 'cause it smelled like straight liquid smoke...

I've talked to others who ate at the restaurant and some who had Dickey's cater, and to a "T" everyone has said never again!

Too bad really. It just doesn't take that much more effort to put out a real meal IMO.

Cheers!!!
I tried to talk Rich from buying a "Dickey's" chain. Told him he was better off doing his own thing.

I happen to know the franchise owner in Kearney, he would welcome the criticism from someone else, other than me. He thinks I'm just a BBQ snob.

Let me know if you would like to provide constructive criticism..

I tried to talk Rich from buying a "Dickey's" chain. Told him he was better off doing his own thing.

I happen to know the franchise owner in Kearney, he would welcome the criticism from someone else, other than me. He thinks I'm just a BBQ snob.

Let me know if you would like to provide constructive criticism..

Hey Shane,

I plan to stop by & visit with him as well. I understand he used to be with Pegler Sysco or something like that. I wonder how much leeway he really has with his products though. If he can't alter the process/recipes then I doubt there is much hope. Cheers!!!

Tried the Clear Lake (Houston) location - dry, plastic wrapped meat. No smoker visible, but there was about 1/10 cord of wood stacked behind dumpster. They seem more concerned about selling franchises, than good BBQ. There's a Rudy's, Red River, and several other places within a few miles that are better, IMHO. Of course, my wife says mine is better than all of those, that's why I love her...

i agree with you that its better to do your own thing. the amount of money you pay as a franchise can destroy you-thats why many fail.

Eddie now in the first post why do you think bbq cant do well-people don't like bbq around your area?

After writing my glowing review, I'm getting google ads for Dickey's BBQ. :thumb:

They make good sweet tea and the jalapenos where good other than that Stay away. The one in Waco didn't last 6 months.

Will be interesting to see how long Kearney stays open. Wwe had one in Omaha for about a year. Ate there once, and did not see a smoker. Don't remember the food being all that great.

There will be one opening in Grand Island soon. Rich really couldn't understand why I didn't want to buy into a partnership on the next store. He just assumed because I was a BBQ guy I would be all over it.

Unfortunately, big BBQ means lame BBQ out here. The only cat that makes great BBQ at a restaurant out here is Al's Smokehouse in North Platte. That guy has it nailed.

I interviewed with Dickie's a year plus ago.
In the Twin Cities they actually have competing franchises. One group seems to be doing better than the others. The guy I interviewed with was serious about creating a good product. Small world He was in my CBJ class a few more years back. They had smokers on site. Had to follow a consistent company menu.
My samples following the interview were good but not standoutish.
Hvve I been back, no. Do some of my coworkers eat there almost weekly yes. Enough big damn yellow cups to decorate a rose bowl float

Back