Devices at Comps

Electronics or not it comes down to knowing how to cook a piece of meat. I learned to bbq w/o electronics and with time I found out where the sweet spot is for tenderness with different meats. That is the number one component of competition bbq. Who gives a rip if your smoker moves only 2 degrees during the entire cook due to electronics or the ability to control your pit that way if your meat doesn't turn out tender? Top teams know where their meat tenderness needs to be and the flavor profiles that compliment the meat to please the judges.

I agree....

Count me in big time for an old school contest format.
Wood and/ or hardwood charcoal only.
no pellets. No stokers, no gurus, heck I would be ok with no gas assist (lighting)

Personally I think the devices and such have been good for the BBQ competition community as a whole, because it has opened up BBQ to a whole group of people that otherwise wouldn't do it. (too much work, lack of sleep, etc)

However (and I have said this in here before) you get down to the basics of BBQ and take away all the gadgets, then you are really looking at the pitmasters ability more so than how fancy their cooker is

Back