Design Ideas Please

Looking great! Its coming along pretty quick; quicker than my projects!

That firebox door looks great, nice seal and good clean lines. Did you cut that?

If the air vent slides vertically, how do you keep it from falling down?

If it slid horizontally, I think you would get more control over how much to open it. More distance to slide it would equal more tweaking room and an easier way to judge the size of the opening. just a thought.

That first cut can be bad.
3848956187_829cd31fc5.jpg

That firebox door looks great, nice seal and good clean lines. Did you cut that?

If the air vent slides vertically, how do you keep it from falling down?

If it slid horizontally, I think you would get more control over how much to open it. More distance to slide it would equal more tweaking room and an easier way to judge the size of the opening. just a thought.

Thanks.

Yes, I cut the door. I've done everything on this pit except for cutting the round opening in the tank for the firebox. I've been using a circular saw to get the cuts started and then switching to a recip.

I designed the air vent to work either vertically or horizontally. The picture shows the vertical option. If I stay with the vertical option, which I hope to do, I'll attach some old window hardware and the damper will be adjusted by a wheel or crank handle.
I need to get the pit mounted to the trailer to see which way is more....ergonomic(?).

I'm having fits trying to figure out how to mount this to the trailer and keep it at a comfortable hieght. I'm also afraid that it will be too top heavy to safely tow behind the truck. I'm very close to scraping the trailer all together and just attaching some smaller wheels so that I can move it around the yard. I could also just roll it onto a trailer if I wanted to take it somewhere.

Thanks.

Yes, I cut the door. I've done everything on this pit except for cutting the round opening in the tank for the firebox. I've been using a circular saw to get the cuts started and then switching to a recip.

I designed the air vent to work either vertically or horizontally. The picture shows the vertical option. If I stay with the vertical option, which I hope to do, I'll attach some old window hardware and the damper will be adjusted by a wheel or crank handle.
I need to get the pit mounted to the trailer to see which way is more....ergonomic(?).

I'm having fits trying to figure out how to mount this to the trailer and keep it at a comfortable hieght. I'm also afraid that it will be too top heavy to safely tow behind the truck. I'm very close to scraping the trailer all together and just attaching some smaller wheels so that I can move it around the yard. I could also just roll it onto a trailer if I wanted to take it somewhere.

A crank opened damper would be cool!

Safely mounting to a trailer is a tough one, but I'm sure there's a solution... there always is. It is kind of a top heavy design. The steel is so thick that i'm sure its very heavy, and the firebox is off to the side so the center of gravity is a little out of center. You may need to make some extra supports if you mount it to a trailer. Maybe a work table on the other side could support it. If the work table is mostly square angles and lines, it wont detract from the unique round designs of the pit. It may actually accentuate the design by balancing it out and providing some contrast.

Other thoughts include raising the trailer (leaf springs or something) and dropping part of the pit through the trailer floor. That would lower the center of gravity relative to the trailer and still maintain the needed height.

I thought that the sphere was about five foot tall sitting on the ground from the first pictures. It seems smaller than that so it might serve well as a party pit in the back yard. How many racks of ribs, briskets, or butts do you think it will hold?

The trailer might not be necessary unless you plan on competing with it.

If you don't expect you will be taking it around much, you could keep it as a house pit. If you ever find the need to mount it to a trailer, then you can do that later.

Nice work so far!

Getting Closer

Not finished yet, but I couldn't wait. Had to fire this baby up.

HPIM0827.jpg

1 1/2" square tube for the legs and axle. Cheap Walmart trailer tires.

HPIM0833.jpg

HPIM0829.jpg

Let the flames begin!

HPIM0826.jpg

Went with the sliding damper. It gets plenty of air, had it over 500 degrees. Slid the damper down and it held at 250-260 for over an hour.

HPIM0820.jpg

This guy has the hots for my wife and keeps drinking my beer. I had him stand in for scale.

I still have to install a smoke stack, door handles and a latch, an upper shelf, an outer shelf, paint......Lots left to do, but at least I'll be able to cook on it for Thanksgiving.

that's an awesome smoker ya built there!!! all that's holdin mine back is the smoke stack too, im tryin to hold out fer 5" chrome offa semi :rolleyes:

Is that her kissing a lamb in the background?

No, not a lamb. Thats Jack, our metrosexual, too pretty to be a boy chihuahua. If you look close in the picture above, you can barely see Pepe, our bad ass, drop the farkin chalupa before I chew on your ankle chihuahua.

MMeat,
You have one of these too? Post some pics!!

Chibi,
Still have to install the tuning plates, so no bisquit test yet. The burn was mainly to test the damper and to...well, hell, I just wanted to get it hot. lol

Two weekends to work on it before Thanksgiving...smoke stack and tuning plates are the next priorities. Paint and foofoo come later.

Back