Deep cleaning new to me offset

rovster

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Daniel
Picked up a used Shirley and it needs a DEEP cleaning. Overall it’s in good shape but looks like it’s never been cleaned. Saw some YouTube videos but they are all over the place. My plan was to scrape it down best I can, pressure clean and then reseason. Looking for tips and tricks, maybe your favorite degreasing products and techniques and what to do about a little surface rust. Thanks in advance!

Here she is. My first proper offset….
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=196001&stc=1&d=1629827791

Attachments

• 4538E287-CBBF-4C89-B201-BEE8810B9844.jpg
    4538E287-CBBF-4C89-B201-BEE8810B9844.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 179
I think I would run the hottest fire i could to dry out and make the creo,,
flaky. scrape, brush and, then season.

Looks like a nice rig.

I think I would run the hottest fire i could to dry out and make the creo,,
flaky. scrape, brush and, then season.

Looks like a nice rig.

Thanks. Got a pretty good deal on it and you don’t see these in my area ever. I was debating giving it a coat of paint but I may just leave it. I do have a grill gun I can use. Was also thinking of a linseed oil treatment with the torch since it’s humid in South Florida.

We’re doing some backyard renovations so won’t be cooking on her for a bit for now my Hunsaker and Primo keep the family fed.

I recently cleaned my drum. Mostly scraping and tried a degreaser spray but not sure that did much. I know this Shirley is going to need a LOT of elbow grease!

Hung this brisket on my drum last weekend. Can’t wait to try one on the offset….

Attachments

• 4867FDDC-CACC-4C75-BE50-852095686F0C.jpg
    4867FDDC-CACC-4C75-BE50-852095686F0C.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 130
I scraped the Tejas 2040 and used a wire wheel and cup brush on my grinder to clean it up inside. Blasted it with the hose and scrubbed with hot water to clean it up. Reseasoned it after. Steam is a good idea but mine was pretty dried up when I got it and cleaned up well.

Saying "nice smoker" when referring to someone's Shirley is almost automatic.

I'm sure it will clean up nicely. Any elbow grease will be well worth it.

Congrats on the cooker.

Back