Decision made. What to take?

jkief

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Jeffry
After three days of deliberations, the wife finally succumbed to her anxiety. She wanted to go to Alaska because the move would have been easier and less complicated. I wanted to go to Italy, even though it’s going to be a lot of paperwork and hassle. We’ve already been to Alaska for three years so it was a comfort she was familiar with. Moving to another country for three years is a lot different than visiting for a couple of weeks. Passports, Visas, Italian drivers license, securing a place to live and a vehicle to drive, etc…. So I definitely understand her anxiety but I believe the effort is worth it. She finally took a deep breath and agreed to go to Italy. Now I need to know what cooker to take? I’m wondering if I should take a pellet cooker or buy a kettle. I’m not really sure what the availability of fuel is over there. Is charcoal or pellets readily available? I don’t really plan on smoking food in the American sense, but love cooking (any kind of cooking) outdoors and don’t plan on changing that. Everything is more expensive in Italy, so it would make sense to have the Army ship whatever I’m taking instead of waiting until I get there and buy. Any suggestions on what to take?

Not sure I have much to offer, but I wish you nothing but the best. Man, I thought moving from CA to TN was quite an undertaking… can’t imagine Italy. Perhaps if we didn’t have a houseful of kids it would be a different story… lol. I vote you keep the pellet muncher… shocker I know ;)

Are you talking about your current arsenal, or buying new?

There are 2 all-around great cookers, imo, that answer the "if I could only have one cooker, what would it be?" conundrum: the 26.75" Weber kettle and the 36" Blackstone griddle.

Personally, I couldn't live w/o charcoal-cooked food, so the kettle wins. (You can buy a griddle for it. I have the one made by Hunsaker.)

Ballsy move, and good luck!

There is a member here who is Italian and lives in Italy, unfortunately I don't remember his name. He posted quite a bit in the woodpile, but has been quiet for some while now. Maybe post a shout out to Italians in the woodpile to flush him out. Seemed like a great guy and he may give you some insight.

Good luck.

Found him, Marco, goes here by mbt.
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/member.php?u=87327

Try sending a pm.

Last edited:
Big decision made. Enjoy the experience. I’d probability recommend the kettle just because of size and versatility.

And yes, thank you for your service.

Last edited:
Weber Kettle. Maybe get a Euro Weber Kettle in a color/size you can't get here in the states. They also have Europe-only accessories too. Enjoy it there and bring it back stateside when you return.

Thanks for your Service..I would start off with the Kettle and see how it rolls, and if all is good you could always get the pellet there..Good luck Sir, and enjoy the Beauty of Italy..

Congrats on your decision,Jeffry, and good luck with everything involved in the move. Be sure to keep posting your cooks and the differences in the ways BBQ is done there versus here. Being there for 3 years, you'll have quite a few chances to experiment.

Weber Kettle. Maybe get a Euro Weber Kettle in a color/size you can't get here in the states. They also have Europe-only accessories too. Enjoy it there and bring it back stateside when you return.

Hmmm…I like that idea. I can always bring the pellet pooper and get a Euro kettle while I’m there and bring it back. I need to contact Yoder and see if they can send me a Euro plug for their 640s.

you can cook anything on a kettle, it will be my last grill standing

This. The 22" Kettle can do almost everything. If you already know where in Italy you'll be relocating too I would suggest doing a few Google Map searches for keywords like bbq, grilling, etc (or the Italian equivalent of those words) and see what you can make out.

I did a 2 second Google search for bbq stores in Italy and got a couple of hits and maybe you could order and have something delivered ahead of time if there's no brick and mortar option. Good luck!

This. The 22" Kettle can do almost everything. If you already know where in Italy you'll be relocating too I would suggest doing a few Google Map searches for keywords like bbq, grilling, etc (or the Italian equivalent of those words) and see what you can make out.

I did a 2 second Google search for bbq stores in Italy and got a couple of hits and maybe you could order and have something delivered ahead of time if there's no brick and mortar option. Good luck!

Looks like there’s 2 stores that sell pits and fuel within 30 minutes. That’s perfect! Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like the sell Weber, BGE, Napoleon, Broil King, and Treager. Gas, charcoal, or pellet. I know the gas regulators are different there.

Hmmm…I like that idea. I can always bring the pellet pooper and get a Euro kettle while I’m there and bring it back. I need to contact Yoder and see if they can send me a Euro plug for their 640s.

You’re taking the Yoder over the MAK? I thought after your comparison that you liked the MAK better.

Either way, I hope everything works out for you and thank you for your service!

You’re taking the Yoder over the MAK? I thought after your comparison that you liked the MAK better.

Either way, I hope everything works out for you and thank you for your service!

Yeah. Since I can only have one, the Yoder is bigger and I have the Grill Grates and Griddle accessories for the Yoder already. The main reason however is Yoder’s plug can be swapped for a euro plug. The MAK can’t, I’d have to use a converter and I wouldn’t want the converter to malfunction and fry the MAK circuit. Yoder builds for and ships to other countries, so it’s an easy plug swap.

I'm with Mike in getting a kettle over there. I think your Yoder decision is a great one.

Totally would take a pooper and get the Euro Kettle! Thank you for your service! I will miss your comparisons from all your current cookers, but look forward to good food cooked while in Italy.

I think the euro version of the kettle is the way to go. Take nothing else except for maybe a griddle, a thermopen, and/or Smoke.

When you get back by a MAK and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back