THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

yoursangoma

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Brett
Wife and kids are in Iowa visiting her family. I'm home alone and our company has their annual employee appreciation day at our local amusement park. So I decided to smoke some ribs and chicken quarters. While I make my obligatory appearance at the party for a few minutes.

Have some Smithyfield natural pork ribs rubbed with Plowboys Yardbird. I don't have a lot of experience with trimming ribs. I just went with them how they were out of the package after removing the membrane. Should I have trimmed these?

UDS is fired up with some RO lump and peach chunks.

Chicken seasoned up and ready to go on. Two quarters seasoned with Plowboys, two with Jamaican jerk seasoning. Wrapped the ribs but forgot to take a picture. I hope I didn't put too much jerk seasoning on these...

Sauced the ribs and let it set for about 20 minutes. They broke in half when I took them off the UDS. Letting the UDS get really hot to finish of the chicken.

Some roasted veggies to go with the ribs and chicken.

Chicken off

Skin wasn't really crispy, but chicken looks good.

Ribs didn't cut very easily, what type of knife do most of you use?

Dinner plated up.

First time attempting chicken quarters. I'm definitely better at ribs than I am at chicken.

what temp did you have the smoker at? For chicken you really need to get it up to above 300 to get the skin crispy. Im sure they were delicious though. Actually my first chicken that had really tough skin was awesome. I may do it again. super smokey!!!

Last edited:
First time attempting chicken quarters. I'm definitely better at ribs than I am at chicken.
The whole thing looks nice and delicious. These quarters will become your friend.
You may find them for $ .59 a pound (use to be .39) and make all sorts of goodness
on the grill, and stewish kind of stuff in the winter.
Plus, the taste resides here. Chk Breast has no taste.
Nice meal.

what temp did you have the smoker at? For chicken you really need to get it up to above 300 to get the skin crispy. Im sure they were delicious though. Actually my first chicken that had really tough skin was awesome. I may do it again. super smokey!!!

I'm sure it would be better to cook the chicken by itself, but wanted to give it a shot while I was cooking my ribs. I ran the smoker about 275 for the ribs and after they were off, I got it up to 360, but I'm sure by then it was too late to fix the skin.

Back