'Dark Cutter' Brisket

Looks to me like the cryo got punctured and the brisket turned dark due to air exposure.

Definitely premortem. If it was postmortem, it would be localized.

Sorry about the smiley. I don' know how to remove it.

Depends on how long it's been frozen. I've had them like that - remember we're only seeing the surface.

And by the way it's antemortem not premortem:tongue:

Looks to me like the cryo got punctured and the brisket turned dark due to air exposure.

I was thinking along those lines too. You could defrost it and cut it to find out for sure, I guess.

Either way, the end result is the same. If it's a dark cutter from the processing plant, or a problem with the cryovac/storage of the brisket, either way a replacement is in order.

From those articles:

"A majority of the dark-cutting in cattle is due to mounting behaviour"

...and now we can move this discussion over to The Woodpile :becky:

I was actually going to speicifically mention this, especially as it relates to brisket. I have heard it happen especially in a small or one off operation heading to slaughter.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBQ
Depends on how long it's been frozen. I've had them like that - remember we're only seeing the surface.

And by the way it's antemortem not premortem:tongue:

Sorry dude. I know it's not very Latin friendly, but I got it from pathophysiology.

premortem- existing or taking place immediately before death

antemortem would also be correct, but less precise. :tape:

You are right, we are only seeing the surface. ALSO after they replaced it I would make it into pastrami and hit it several times.

Sorry dude. I know it's not very Latin friendly, but I got it from pathophysiology.

premortem- existing or taking place immediately before death

antemortem would also be correct, but less precise. :tape:

You are right, we are only seeing the surface. ALSO after they replaced it I would make it into pastrami and hit it several times.

In the medical profession it's perimortem - premortem is considered a slang term and not to be used but yeah hit the pastrami!

I talked more in depth with the Rancher I've been dealing with couple hours ago. I told him some of what I came across and he said please don't believe for a second that his cattle or any others are allowed to run through that processing plant sick. He said there is such strict protocal that sick cattle are prohibited from even enter the plant and he would personally show me if I was in the area. He called a few of his experts to learn himself more about the scientific end of 'Dark Cutters' and "BignBurlyMan" hit the nail on the head with his links about the pH and the stress of the cattle. Thank you for setting me straight and clarifying this. This rancher has been extrememly helpful in making me understand more about what I'm cooking other than Beef Brisket. Despite not cooking my first Wagyu from him yet due to scheduling of family and work, just his willingness to help you and his customer service have been second to none.

I talked more in depth with the Rancher I've been dealing with couple hours ago. I told him some of what I came across and he said please don't believe for a second that his cattle or any others are allowed to run through that processing plant sick. He said there is such strict protocal that sick cattle are prohibited from even enter the plant and he would personally show me if I was in the area. He called a few of his experts to learn himself more about the scientific end of 'Dark Cutters' and "BignBurlyMan" hit the nail on the head with his links about the pH and the stress of the cattle. Thank you for setting me straight and clarifying this. This rancher has been extrememly helpful in making me understand more about what I'm cooking other than Beef Brisket. Despite not cooking my first Wagyu from him yet due to scheduling of family and work, just his willingness to help you and his customer service have been second to none.

Cudos to the rancher for following up, any respectable cattle grower only wants to provide the food chain with the highest quality product possible.

Back