Cutting style and knife choices

A few recent threads got me to thinking about knife choices and why there are so many differences and styles in the knives we end up using. Despite the bling and shine, there are really just a few reasons these differences exist. A lot comes down to cutting style and technique. This can inform why a person would choose one knife over another.

One of the biggest differences is that in the common European style of cutting, and the way most Western (European-influenced) chefs are trained, they cut on the push for most tasks in the kitchen. Thus, a knife with a pronounced rocker allows for the common rocking motion and push-cut method use.

Japanese use a pull-cut and typically you will see a Japanese-influenced cook slicing on the pull stroke. The push stroke if often not made in contact with the food. This argues for a longer, thinner blade with less belly or rocker in the edge.

The exception...light cleavers and nakiri, these square blades in Asian cooking are used with a push, these are also the ideal knives for making thin and small cuts. One of the reasons for these knives to have been developed is that food was eaten with no knives at the table, thus, food could not be cut at the table.

Another style of blade and a curious one to me, is the flat edged slicer, a knife that I have always found cumbersome to make delicate cuts with on flat or small pieces of meat. I love the new Wusthof shape that was developed by Slamdunkpro, it makes perfect sense to me, and it mimics the curve of the Japanese Sujihiki I am used to, which is the typical sushi knife many of use are not familiar with.

I most cases, understanding how you naturally choose to cut will help you select a knife that fits your style of use. (and yes, I felt like writing this, cause otherwise, I should be doing my taxes :becky:)

In general a pull cut is used for softer items where as a forward push cut is used when cutting harder items. A true push cut does not involve a slicing motion. Think shaving. About the only time I use pure push cuts is to paper test my edge. If it can push cut 8-10" from where I'm holding the copy paper it's razor sharp and I've done a good job on the stones

Euro knives are designed for rock chopping with the significant belly. J-knives lack the belly except some Shuns and Euro based J-style knives and are designed more for slicing than chopping although you can chop with them. I will not say a sharper knife is safer because if you cut yourself it can be a very deep cut but a clean cut. Clean cuts are easier to sew back together

Some Japanese knives are designed for slicing and others are not.
The variety of Japanese knife TYPES is about 8 times more than the entire number of European blades put together.

That's pretty funny! Don't you have a picture posted here of your freshly stiched finger? :eek:

All joking aside, and to add a point, a person is much more likely to cut themselves with a dull knife or an unsteeled edge than with a sharp, properly honed knife. This is simply due to the effort required to cut something. If you find yourself giving alot of effort or if moving the blade along the surface of the food to be cut with minimal effort doesnt at least cut into it, your knife needs to be steeled (honed). If that does not work, the edge needs to be sharpened.

I know alot of people who have 150 dollar chefs knives and do not own a steel!
Just my two cents.:blah:

--Mike

Ha, I hear ya on the sharp knife facts. I agree with you on that. I usually cut myself from being lazy though.

I was just attemping humor with my post and no it wasn't me with the stitches, i've yet to require stitches for any of my missteps(knock on wood). The one that gets the most use is the 8in henckels chefs knife that I got as a wedding present. It says Spain on it, i'm assuming that's not good. I remember when I first got it I thought "damn this is the sharpest knife I've ever had". I've actually been thinking of an upgrade or at least a decent sharpener. Honestly with my budget the kiwi knives look appealing. I know where I can find a wealth of information though if I ever do take the plunge.

Ha, I hear ya on the sharp knife facts. I agree with you on that. I usually cut myself from being lazy though.

I was just attemping humor with my post and no it wasn't me with the stitches, i've yet to require stitches for any of my missteps(knock on wood). The one that gets the most use is the 8in henckels chefs knife that I got as a wedding present. It says Spain on it, i'm assuming that's not good. I remember when I first got it I thought "damn this is the sharpest knife I've ever had". I've actually been thinking of an upgrade or at least a decent sharpener. Honestly with my budget the kiwi knives look appealing. I know where I can find a wealth of information though if I ever do take the plunge.
Just found the thread it was ROF, Texas. (8 stitches on the thumb, ouch!)
I knew you were being funny. I laughed by butt off:pound:, then thought it would be a good time to get the dull knife danger out there.

Henckels is a decent knife, you might can have a proffessional sharpen it for like 10 bucks. Then again, I just have a forschner, and I love it. Planned on getting a "better" knife, and never did!

--Mike

To top off the birthday yesterday, my wife got me a Shun Premier 6.5" Nakiri to go with my slicer. Geeze a loo, Marie...awesome day.

Talk about a great brother I have. Got home today and as an early birthday present I found a box on the porch with a Shun knife roll....inside that box was also a Shun Classic 9" slicer. Holy MOSES!!! How cool is that? I am just beside myself.

Thats a GREAT brother! Congrats, and enjoy the new knife! (make that knives!)

Might want to pick up a Shun steel if you don't have one already.

Thanks for showing me that GreenDrake, I don't think I can pass that up even though I have no need for them.

Back