Custom stick burner build i need help with

lwdbo1

Take a breath!
Long story short... I was interested in buying my 1st stick burner an Old Country over under..
After giving it some thought i figured i have 1 custom made..

The reason i am going with this paticular model is that i saw alot of reviews (bludawg) that there is virtually No "hot spots"

I am having 1 built by a local builder here in S.Cali. He does have quality workman and craftsmanship...
Will be built out of 1/4 material both CC and FB. Size will be 40"L x 24H x 24D.. Smoker will be identical with the exception of a square top. I can go with the same style door or either with 2 cab doors (like shirley). I go tmrw 3/30 to make a deposit . Build will start in approx 3 weeks
He is going to fire it up make sure the temps are no more then 5° apart and season it before pick up.. Build is $1,900

Now i need help with what i shld look for, need, dont need, distance between grates, etc.... and any thing else that can or will help in any way , shape or fashion..

I know i will get alot of "for that money why dont u just get a shirley " bcuz i already have got that.
Of course that would be my ideal pit but with the wait time of 8+ months ,shipping, etc... Im just going to go this route. If i didnt have to wait so long for the Shirley i would definately pull the trigger with no qstns asked...

Thanks in advance with all help and suggestions !!!

I will take some pics tmrw and post them of a trailer smoker that he is building now...

Again.. THANKS GUYS !!!

Pictures are of the 1 i am going to replicate

Last edited:
I'd go 3/16" if it saved some money. 2 racks ? I'd want minimum 8" in between them but atleast 6" above top rack. 1/4" doors can get Heavy without a counterweight - esp if trying to one hand it, so cabinet doors may be better. I believe the Hexagonal or Octagonal shape helps with the even temps- helps create a convection oven effect for no Hotspots.?

I'd go 3/16" if it saved some money. 2 racks ? I'd want 8" in between them. 1/4" doors can get Heavy without a counterweight - esp if trying to one hand it, so cabinet doors may be better. I believe the Hexagonal or Octoagonal shape helps with the even temps- helps create a convection oven effect.?
Yes it will def save money as he gave that option aswell. I am wrkg with 2k max. He wanted $2,150 to make eaxactly the same with the angled top. Save $250 in labor by making it with square top

The Over and Under is 14 gauge with 11 gauge ( about 1/8") doors.

These will be 1/4 " .The entire build will be 1/4"
I was thinking to go with the cab door so i dont have to lift the heavy door over head (or what ever the traditonal door is called)

If 1/4 I'd get Cabinet Doors.[/QUOTE
Is there any difference between the two that would chage the performance, not seal equally/properly, or, etc..
Pros and cons of the doors...
Sorry for the "dumb" qstns. I'd rather know now then find out after its to late

Doors won't make a difference except that with cabinet doors if you only open one you may not lose as much Heat so it may recover quicker.

I would also choose 1/4", 2 cabinet doors and a flat top. I would suggest a therm on each end at the lower grate level. Also a 1/2" threaded outlet at each end to install a conduit cable connector as found in the electric dept at Lowe's. It's a good way to run therm probes into the CC. Works great for me.

Good luck with it, Joe

I would also choose 1/4", 2 cabinet doors and a flat top. I would suggest a therm on each end at the lower grate level. Also a 1/2" threaded outlet at each end to install a conduit cable connector as found in the electric dept at Lowe's. It's a good way to run therm probes into the CC. Works great for me.

Good luck with it, Joe

Hey there Joe...

Thanks for the input on the custom smoker build...
I started out with wanting the $499 Old Country Smoker Over under(now $599l). Then thought about having it custom replicated and got the $1,900 quote. Which was the best price by a repital builer here in S.Cali.

Then got to thinking , **** if im up to 1,900 im not to far from the Shirley back yard smoker price range....

I contacted Paul and now im going that route.. Got pissed and said "Fark it "!!!

Ughhh !!! Ive went from a $600 sticker burner that i wanted to get my feet wet with to learn how to work a stick burner to now a Shirley..

Any who, ive vented ( to who i dont know) but now i will learm and get my feet wet with the Maybach of stick burners !!!:becky:

I will be starting a new thread about my new and soon to be Shirley Smoker soon !!! As im sending my deposit tomorrow !!!

Wish me luck !!!

This thread is over for me !!! New 1 to start shortly
Thanks to all the help for the help Smitty and Joe .
It is greatly appreciated!!!

Hey there Joe...

Thanks for the input on the custom smoker build...
I started out with wanting the $499 Old Country Smoker Over under(now $599l). Then thought about having it custom replicated and got the $1,900 quote. Which was the best price by a repital builer here in S.Cali.

Then got to thinking , **** if im up to 1,900 im not to far from the Shirley back yard smoker price range....

I contacted Paul and now im going that route.. Got pissed and said "Fark it "!!!

Ughhh !!! Ive went from a $600 sticker burner that i wanted to get my feet wet with to learn how to work a stick burner to now a Shirley..

Any who, ive vented ( to who i dont know) but now i will learm and get my feet wet with the Maybach of stick burners !!!:becky:

I will be starting a new thread about my new and soon to be Shirley Smoker soon !!! As im sending my deposit tomorrow !!!

Wish me luck !!!

This thread is over for me !!! New 1 to start shortly
Thanks to all the help for the help Smitty and Joe .
It is greatly appreciated!!!

So what are you gonna cook on during the 6 month wait .......?

So when you say learn and get your feet wet do you mean you have never used a stick burner? You got some kahonas going straight in amd spending $ for the shirley! Lol more power to you though.

I did the same thing. I had never properly used a stickburner before and went and got a fully decked out Shirley trailer.

The wait is SO painful. But as soon as you recieve the pit, the wait is just a distant memory. I've owned boats, dune buggie, 4 wheelers, and an over the top aquarium. And nothing has matched the joy of my Shirley. It will last a lifetime, and it has a way of drawing everyone that sees it straight to it. It's a blast. You have made the right choice.

While I waited I built a brick pit and a UDS to help hold me over! (luckily I still had an XL and small green egg too!)

you will not regret the new Shirley , once you get it and see the quality that goes in to it and the ease of running it .:cool:

So what are you gonna cook on during the 6 month wait .......?

My go to 55 gallon unit with attached deep fryer and two burners(had this unit custom built 22 yrs ago, i qas the man then with this unit back then:becky:)

Smaller 30 gal pit

22.5 Weber

UDS

So when you say learn and get your feet wet do you mean you have never used a stick burner? You got some kahonas going straight in amd spending $ for the shirley! Lol more power to you though.
This is correct.. I have never used a stick burner.
Ive used my buddys custom built trailer stick burner but his is propane assisted..(So obviously not the same )
Yup, im going for it... Why learn how to drive in a Ford Pinto if u can to it in a Ferrari ?? :becky::becky:

I did the same thing. I had never properly used a stickburner before and went and got a fully decked out Shirley trailer.

The wait is SO painful. But as soon as you recieve the pit, the wait is just a distant memory. I've owned boats, dune buggie, 4 wheelers, and an over the top aquarium. And nothing has matched the joy of my Shirley. It will last a lifetime, and it has a way of drawing everyone that sees it straight to it. It's a blast. You have made the right choice.

While I waited I built a brick pit and a UDS to help hold me over! (luckily I still had an XL and small green egg too!)

Nice !! Thats good to hear..
I will defintaly be picking you and all of the other Shirley guys brains for tips and trick on the shirley.

This is correct.. I have never used a stick burner.
Ive used my buddys custom built trailer stick burner but his is propane assisted..(So obviously not the same )
Yup, im going for it... Why learn how to drive in a Ford Pinto if u can to it in a Ferrari ?? :becky::becky:

well, like i said, more power to you. i'm all about commitment! but the only question is--how do you know you're gonna like it?

Back