crappy HD and Lowes charcoal sale

smokentor

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Phil
This year's Memorial Day sale for Kingsford Charcoal is pretty darn crappy. It is $3 off the 2 20 lb bags. Just venting

Our Lowes(10 min) has 2-20# for $21.98....Our HD has 2-20# for $17.88 but it's 45 min...Gas will make it more expensive and the SKU #s are different...Gonna try in the am to slip some passed the people at Lowes anyway...Ran out last summer of about 50 bags from a few years ago...Since then I've been using some real junk...

With inflation and supply chain issues i wasn't expecting much for sales. I'll be picking some up at HD because otherwise i'm out. Costco has the kingsford pro for a buck less but i'm not a fan of it. I won't be buying nearly as much as i would have years ago though.

I am actually picking up a new gas grill to use for the quick cooks like steaks and burgers, I wont get near the flavor, but the price of charcoal has gotten so damn stupid I am only going to be using it on longer cooks and in my drums.

I am thinking I will add a pellet grill once I get a new place built to store it out of the elements, but for this summer at least... LP for me.

Picked up some bags of Royal Oak from HD, and some bags of Cowboy from Lowes. Not a great bargain, but I needed to replenish.

I will keep buying my B&B charcoal that I can get at a decent price over the blue bag for better quality but for each their own if you like that brand .:becky:

Our Lowes(10 min) has 2-20# for $21.98....Our HD has 2-20# for $17.88 but it's 45 min...Gas will make it more expensive and the SKU #s are different...Gonna try in the am to slip some passed the people at Lowes anyway...Ran out last summer of about 50 bags from a few years ago...Since then I've been using some real junk...

Nothing wrong with Kingsford Original. I wish I could buy it at USA prices, but here in Canada the best I can find is $15.99 for a 16 lb bag.

I will keep buying my B&B charcoal that I can get at a decent price over the blue bag for better quality but for each their own if you like that brand .:becky:

Local academy has it for $7.99 plus a 10% mil discount so I’ll probably get 20 bags and be set for a good while. Their comp charcoal is far better than kbb. Burns way longer. Gotta stock up before it starts disappearing.

For those like myself that buy the cheap stuff, Lowes has a 16 pound bag of Ridge charcoal for $6 ends June 1st.

They also have a 20 pound bag of Kamado Joe Big Block lump for $21.98.

Agree that Kingsford prices have gotten stupid over the past few years. I still use it for low and slow but as others mentioned have been on the B&B train for a while now for most of my non smoking cooks.

Agree that Kingsford prices have gotten stupid over the past few years. I still use it for low and slow but as others mentioned have been on the B&B train for a while now for most of my non smoking cooks.

Just watched a few YouTube videos about B&B Charcoal. There are some grumbling that the product quality is not there since Duraflame Inc. bought the business last year.

I’ve been using the embers brand stuff for everyday kettle grilling. I tried them in my backwoods and I felt it didn’t work very well. So, for smoking I use B&B primarily or whatever “premium” goes on sale I will try. That being said I smoked my pork butt with blues hog briquettes and they lasted a long as time and smelled good!

I’ll also keep some B&B oak and mesquite lump on hand as well.

Last edited:
Back