Craigslist score, old school 2'x4' charcoal grill - insights welocme

Beef

Full Fledged Farker
The Beast:
I found a grill, simply listed as a Charcoal Grill, on my local craigslist, via searchtempest. It looked monsterly, and intriguing, but I also had different plans for it. It appeared to be a great big charcoal grill, built like a gantry, but I saw a Dutch Oven cookers dream. The guy selling it said the base was light-weight, and that the separate top could be handled by a reasonably strong person. :blah:
IMG_4128_zps64ec917f.jpg

It was snowing when I arrived, and there was a Very steep short hill to the Golf Maintenance shack, so I opted to park on top and text him. JJ came out and I walked down to inspect the Grill, and try to act unexcited, as I surveyed the rusty gem. He laughed at me about not driving down the hill, and said he does it daily with his minivan, but does need a good running start. What the fark.
IMG_4130_zps01b3b950.jpg

He was neighborly enough to use his tractor to carry this simple beast up the hill to my waiting van. Loading it was a breeze, and then I got home and tried to move it by myself; yikes. I am guessing the base weighs 60 lbs. maybe, but the grill top, OMG (my daughters line).!! I am 40+ years old and in OK shape, but it took me a legitimate TWO tries to Clean & Jerk the grill onto the upper surface of this thing. I am guessing the top weighs at least 80 lbs! Maybe more.
IMG_4131_zps76b8507c.jpg

Sorry for the long story, but I want to use it, primarily, without the grill and just use my dutch ovens on the beast, but I believe the Sheet Steel used to support the Charcoal is thin, and very rusted, so I may drop a piece of 25x40" plate in there to support the Dutch's. Both the Plate, and the Grill, all rests on the angle iron that makes the top, so we are all good.
IMG_4133_zps7aeed969.jpg

Anyone know where to find budget prices plate ? Or how to cut a bigger piece down? Is 3/16 too reasonable, or overkill to hold a few dutch ovens and a caldron?

Ok, if you have read this far, let me try this joke on with you.
This next picture is just a thought. If I prop up one edge of this Grill,and start a nice even fire under the whole thing, can I call this my poor man's Slant'a Maria? :help:
I'me Here all week Folks. :bow:

IMG_4135_zps9844cb99.jpg

Thanks y'all

I am thinking drill a few weep holes, and set it and forget it. To Heck with the rust!

Oh, and 1967 Riv. 430 Motor stage 2 blew, and will be rebuilt in spring. Thanks for noticing, I think.

I would be making a santa maria grill to raise and lower that grate...
Nice find.
How much did you give for it?
jon

Back