Couple updates for the 270 Smokers Sumo any input?

Rusty Kettle

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Hey you with the face!
So I was looking at bbqsmokersupply.com for parts to upgrade. So I was looking at upgrading the latches and giving them a bit of a twist to better go with the new paint job on the sliding vent intake. I upgraded to high heat green paint with high heat primer and clear coat. Still have to fire it up this weekend to make sure the paint will hold.

So anyways I had seen this product that was really for cars and trim upgrades. It is called plasti dip. Yeah the removable car paint. Its good up to 200 degrees but I figure I just want to dip the rubber part of the toggle latch. I can touch those with bare hands and never had a problem with heat. So I figure it is no where near as hot as 200 degrees and should be fine. I should be able to match the green pretty close although there is a make your own color kit and that might be interesting.

I am debating between Lavalock's LL-431 latch or the stainless steel latch. I measured the specs and they appear to be identical to what 270 smokers is using for their latches. They actually have the specs for latch on bbqsmokersupply.com.

Is stainless worth the extra money? $8 for standard and $18 for stainless steel latches. Is stainless worth the extra money?

I was also thinking about talking to them to see how much new grates would be. Nothing wrong with the old grates but I think the custom ones from bbqsmokersupply.com can allow better airflow if I can get them at the right price. Also it looks like they cut them out of 3/16" plate steel. I have to check some measurements on that but I think they might be able to make me some new grates just to get some better airflow in the sumo.

Pretty much this is just some ideas to occupy my time until I can go back to work in August. We found out we won't go back until August 1. No idea if they will actually let us back to work or not as that is an estimate. Until then I got to find something to occupy my time.

If you have rust issues then stainless is probably worth the extra $10. What makes you think you need to improve airflow?

If you have rust issues then stainless is probably worth the extra $10. What makes you think you need to improve airflow?

No rust issue they just were a bit dull. I wound up grabbing some Eagle One polish and they cleaned up easy.

The sumo has a design flaw. There isn't enough air flow to let you use multiple full size pans. They fit but really you can only use one or it messes up the airflow. It has to go on the bottom grate.
The Hollywood is expanded 2 inches deeper and is pretty much the same smoker.
They corrected it when they redesigned the smoker but I bought one of the last if not the last sumo from Mason Dixon barbecue. I knew of this flaw. It would be nice to use the full space with full size pans

Back