Country Style Pork Ribs on the PG1000

sleebus.jones

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
sleebs
Just been itching to fire it up again, got the chance late in the day. Did some country style pork ribs with Sugarless Texas Sprinkle and some with Memphis Dust. Smoked for an hour around 220°, then kicked it up to 300° to finish on the charbroiler. Turned out pretty good, I think I'll opt for smoking at a bit higher temp to help break down the ribs a bit, and that will make the finish a bit faster.

Really loving the screened porch with all the mosquitoes and rain we've had lately!

8BhLnVAl.jpg

After about an hour of smoke

7MYsSt6l.jpg

Sitting in the warming drawer until needed. I'm using this feature more than I thought I would.

Mlky9Ail.jpg

Finally, on the counter

rnQ34aTl.jpg

Took about 1.5 hrs start to finish. Higher temps earlier I think will help the tenderness a bit...some of them had the fight that needed to be cooked longer. The toothpicks are for the no-salt version for the DW. :grin:

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
They are hard to screw up, that's for sure! They work well with a butt rub and cooked slow, they work great with montreal steak seasoning and grilled over charcoal. Best advice I can give on them is cook 'em slow as possible if you're grilling. Keep the heat down so you can keep them on there about 45 mins, that way they'll be tender.

They are hard to screw up, that's for sure! They work well with a butt rub and cooked slow, they work great with montreal steak seasoning and grilled over charcoal. Best advice I can give on them is cook 'em slow as possible if you're grilling. Keep the heat down so you can keep them on there about 45 mins, that way they'll be tender.

Good tips :thumb: These are basically a pork shoulder, right? So I was thinking well in excess of 175 IT or so.

Good tips :thumb: These are basically a pork shoulder, right? So I was thinking well in excess of 175 IT or so.

Yep, exactly. Slices from a pork shoulder. They start loosening up around 175°, so I just go until probe tender which starts happening around 185°. Once you get up there, you can dry them out if you go too long, so it's another of those "by feel" kind of things.

I have found that 45 min in smoke then wrapping (usually 3/pack} with a bit of sauce for another hour and half to two hours, then out of foil, sauced (Tennessee Red) and back on for 20 - 30 min is the best way. Last year my wife went on a no carb diet and really liked CSRs. I would rub them like a butt and cook them like above using the Red. I pretty much made them every week or two, and she would take them for lunch to reheat. They were tender and very juicy and moist, falling apart tender, to say the least. That's how she liked them, they were easy to make on my kettle (no need to use the WSM), and I always got "rewarded". I tried many different ways and found that wrapping is by far the best way to go with CSR. I could get them tender without wrapping, but they were almost always dry. The more tender and juicy the CSRs were, the more tender and juicy my reward was.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: EdF
You know, I hadn't really thought about wrapping them, but I think I'll do that next time. The PG1000 puts down quite a bit of smoke really quickly, so maybe I'll do 30 mins smoke, wrap in butcher paper, kick it up to 275° - 300° for an hour, and then finish them off by a bit of crisping time on the charbroiler.

Thanks for the suggestion! :thumb:

Back