Could it be my nipples?

I started out using 3/4" to 1/2" bushings. I had to have 2-3 open. I switched to 3/4" short nipples and never looked back. Seems if you watch the post the longer the nipples the more restriction. Also not that we have a lot here but humidity seems to affect how a drum burns.

Humidity plays a huge part in how that drum will run....
If someone can explain that, it would be great!!

Minimum 3/4" nipples for intakes. Drum law.

I haven't tweeked my nipples yet as she is cooking a brisket at the moment. I do think I will change at least one to a 3/4 at some point. The wind picked up this morning and the temp did jump for a few minutes, Thanks to the alarm on the receiver I got in a decent cat nap. For now I think it is about strategic placement in regard to the breeze. With a little adjustment (breeze related) she is holding at 229-230.

I haven't tweeked my nipples yet as she is cooking a brisket at the moment. I do think I will change at least one to a 3/4 at some point. The wind picked up this morning and the temp did jump for a few minutes, Thanks to the alarm on the receiver I got in a decent cat nap. For now I think it is about strategic placement in regard to the breeze. With a little adjustment (breeze related) she is holding at 229-230.

I love the paint job.

Most of what I saw said use 3/4 close nipples so that is what I did. I have used lump in mine and it works fine up to about 8- 10 hours. Then I have to tweak the fire.
A 3/4 pipe nipple fits a 1" hole in the drum. 1/2" is a bit small I would think.
I agree, on the length. The longer the pipe, the slower flow you will get for any fluid including air.

smooookin, the first UDS I built I used 4" pipe nipples thinking the oxygen coming closer to the middle of the basket would spread outward better. Wrongo. Had to shake the drum too often so changed to 1 inchers all around and that really made for a more even burn. You will dial it in just like you have in the past.

I will make a couple of changes ( thanks to this thread ) and she will be just fine. This is the drum that I usually put my 3/4 extension on. Since I am sure there are a few air leaks with it on I have no problem. It is just when using the lid that she requires more attention than normal.

Of course right now, I am setting in El Paso at the camp ground in a farkin thunderstorm watching the temps fall. Right now there is a little too mush lightening to roll out the awning and move the barrel. If nothing else maybe we will get some more hail.

Right now there is a little too much lightening to roll out the awning and move the barrel.
*Forest Gump mod*

I had to get that awning out!! Rainin like he!!, I couldnt get my tie strap off of my awning so out came the pocket knife! The awning is now out, the drum is covered and I look like a drowned rat! :biggrin: I didnt set up most of the night just to get rained out in the 7th inning stretch! :evil:

Humidity plays a huge part in how that drum will run....
If someone can explain that, it would be great!!
I know it sounds foolish but I have noticed I have issue getting up to initial temp and even lighting the basket when it feels muggy. If I get a bigger than usual pile going on initial burn then close it up and overshoot to @ 275-300 then add meat then choke back it burns better. But when it feels dry I just light 10-12 briquetts in center and close up and it climbs to temp. Maybe Rancher draws moisture. Bubba leave my BBQ fantasy bubble alone. :biggrin:

*Forest Gump mod*

I had to get that awning out!! Rainin like he!!, I couldnt get my tie strap off of my awning so out came the pocket knife! The awning is now out, the drum is covered and I look like a drowned rat! :biggrin: I didnt set up most of the night just to get rained out in the 7th inning stretch! :evil:

Sounds like time for velcro awning straps.
Hope the rest of your cook goes well.

I use two 1" intakes with nipples extended all the way up to the grate level. I use lump almost exclusively. I need a microscope to dial the thing in. An 1/8" addittional open or close can mean 10 degrees one way or the other.

How do you start your fire ?

From the center ? All over top ?

I think the fire basket has as much to do with how it burns as much as anything.

I noticed a big difference in how much air I had to feed the drum when I switched from a makeshift basket using a wsm ring to a no weld ring using expanded steel.

Back