Costco Tri-Tip

Killa J

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Josh
I had never heard of tri-tip until recently, so I wanted to try it out. Only place I found it was Costco. They had prime for $9.99, and a premarinated choice for $5.99. I went with the cheaper one since I didn’t want to spend a lot if I didn’t like it. I rinsed as much of the marinade off as possible and cooked it with my ghetto Santa Maria camp grill. The marinade didn’t taste good and completely permeated the meat. Probably injected as well as marinated. It was fairly tender at least, but I would never buy that again.

I went back and tried the prime one. It was good, but not any better than the regular prime sirloins that are a little less expensive. I’d probably have to have it cooked the traditional way to really judge, but I’ll stick with the usual steaks for now.

zLmRIcA_d.jpg

zfwOL6A_d.jpg

I think I did, I looked at a picture of how to cut it. It came out tender, but basically tasted like zesty Italian dressing. Good on chicken, not so much on beef.

Looks like you nailed the doneness and slicing. Just work on your layers of flavors and I'm sure you'll get to like it. As any roast, it needs more seasoning than a steak. Each bite only has a small surface area of crust...

Hope you won't give up on Tri Tip just yet.

It's an incredibly flavorful cut of beef that's great when you learn how to get the best out of it. A generous seasoning of a simple rub of coarse salt & black pepper, maybe a bit of garlic powder is an excellent start vs a marinade.

While this is unconventional, I have tried it enough times to confirm that it will yield a significantly more tender Tri-Tip, sometimes approaching filet-tenderness:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248092

Hope you won't give up on Tri Tip just yet.

It's an incredibly flavorful cut of beef that's great when you learn how to get the best out of it. A generous seasoning of a simple rub of coarse salt & black pepper, maybe a bit of garlic powder is an excellent start vs a marinade.

While this is unconventional, I have tried it enough times to confirm that it will yield a significantly more tender Tri-Tip, sometimes approaching filet-tenderness:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248092

That looks amazing! I'm gonna have to try that. I like your technique.........

"If you try this technique, please don't overbeat the meat - just do it to the point that it flattens out and starts to "give" and then stop.You'll know it when you feel it!"

I'll do this after dark, when the neighbours can't see. :icon_smil

In all seriousness, I, like the OP, have never seen that around here. Walmart now sells something call tri-tip, but it is not the whole roast. it's cut up into little bits. I really do like the idea of beating down that little roast to a steak thickness, I'm sure it would tenderize it. Kinda like schnitzel. And not just for tri-tip either. Thanks for showing us this technique and how it can be extrapolated!

Last edited:
I am some what of a newbie to the tri-tip, like you my first was a marinated one and had the same results as you tasting the marinade. I finally found a prime tri-tip seasoned with SPOG reverse seared and what a difference it made. I now have had 4 done now, I just don't find them often in Tampa.

Back