Costco sold out of brisket until after the 4th

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Went into my local Costco this morning in need of some briskets for a 4th of July cook and they couldn't be found anywhere. I asked one of the guys in the meat department and he said they'd already sold out and wouldn't be getting more until after the 4th. I've never been to Costco and not seen the prime packers there, including all the other holidays.

Luckily I also have a Sam's membership and they are 5 minutes from Costco. They had four "angus" choice grade packers out and I grabbed the 3 closest in size. I was afraid I was going to have to make a Restaurant Depot run just to go my hands on brisket.

The haul...three 17lb briskets, 4 slabs of spares I'll trim down to St Louis style, and two 8lb Boston butts. Ought to fill up the Shirley a little bit better...maybe even a whole shelf :p

Last edited:
Was at Costco last weekend. Briskets were $3.79/lb. No thank you. I'll go to Wally World or RD.

I'll come over to your house, the drive will be worth it. My Sam's has prime briskets, just started carrying them, and they jumped .40 in the past week, $3.98/lb. I'll wait until the rush is down myself.

Supply and demand. Kind of like ammo a couple years ago. People filling up carts and freezers. I'm trying and somewhat succeeding from receding from BBQ hoarding race. We had great deals here this weekend. I bought one Brisket and one pack of St. Louis spares.

I'm really hungry for chili.

I headed to Costco first thing this morning only to hear the same. Sold out.... Restock Monday, hopefully.

Supply and demand. Kind of like ammo a couple years ago. People filling up carts and freezers. I'm trying and somewhat succeeding from receding from BBQ hoarding race. We had great deals here this weekend. I bought one Brisket and one pack of St. Louis spares.

I'm really hungry for chili.

I have somewhat the same philosophy. Charcoal sales I'll buy a few bags but don't need to hoard a pallet. Butts went on sale last week for .99/lb. I did buy two and already had two in the freezer. That's more than enough. I do need to stock up on a couple brisket next time I see it cheap.

And hatch chilis. Learned my lesson last year and only bought a few. Not this year.

When you look at taste and waste a good rib eye may cost less.

No doubt, i picked up a 5 bone-in for $4.99/lb certified angus so it must be choice. I haven't decided how i want to cook it. I also picked up a 15lb packer from walmart for 2.69/lb (select of course) that im getting ready the inject.

Was at Costco last weekend. Briskets were $3.79/lb. No thank you. I'll go to Wally World or RD.

Yeah Sam's didn't have any prime packers either, just the choice. They still look pretty well marbled though. Paid 3.49/lb. Not great, but both Costco and Sam's just recently raised the price on their prime packers by about $1/lb. It's happened over the summer in the past as well, it'll probably be back to < $3/lb by fall. Even around $4/lb, it's only $15 more for a big hunk o meat than the price point everyone loved...not a big enough difference to make me not buy.

Yeah Sam's didn't have any prime packers either, just the choice. They still look pretty well marbled though. Paid 3.49/lb. Not great, but both Costco and Sam's just recently raised the price on their prime packers by about $1/lb. It's happened over the summer in the past as well, it'll probably be back to < $3/lb by fall. Even around $4/lb, it's only $15 more for a big hunk o meat than the price point everyone loved...not a big enough difference to make me not buy.

There needs to be a ban on the word prime followed by $3.xx , just saying.

Back