THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Q_Done_Right

Knows what a fatty is.
Been buying the Costco Prime packers for a couple years now and the price is hard to beat. Have had some come out really good and others just okay. Cooked on both WSM’s and a Pecos offset with me being able to turn out a truly great one at least once on each. What I want to know is how do these compare against say a Creekstone Farms Prime (or even Choice grade)? Same with the Snake River Farms Double R Ranch briskets. I wonder how many of these Costco Primers are truly “Prime” because not every one I’ve bought has been as marbled/flexible as another I previously purchased there. I’ve read that grocers basically get whatever hasn’t already been picked over by restaurants, butchers, etc. Could be wrong but feel like the quality of a Creekstone Choice would even turn out better than your average Costco Prime grade.

Anyone have any direct experience with this? I will say the Costco Primes have always come out better than any of the Sam’s Club Choices I’ve done...but those were only flats.

Good question. I am interested in this too. Sometimes the Costco Prime I get doesn't look so marbled and the slices can be very lean with no marbling. That's assuming I didn't ruin it.

For me I'm not willing to pay much more than the Costco Prime, so that's going to be like $40 to $55 for a 12 to 16 pounder. How does that compare to prices where people order briskets online?

Good question. I am interested in this too. Sometimes the Costco Prime I get doesn't look so marbled and the slices can be very lean with no marbling. That's assuming I didn't ruin it.

For me I'm not willing to pay much more than the Costco Prime, so that's going to be like $40 to $55 for a 12 to 16 pounder. How does that compare to prices where people order briskets online?

The Creekstone Farms I mentioned for example are like $10/lb for Prime if ordered online at regular price. Choice is quite expensive too. I’m just very curious the overall difference in quality between these and the Costco Primes...which I think many are more like true Choice grade. Wonder where Costco gets their briskets from...

The Creekstone Farms I mentioned for example are like $10/lb for Prime if ordered online at regular price. Choice is quite expensive too. I’m just very curious the overall difference in quality between these and the Costco Primes...which I think many are more like true Choice grade. Wonder where Costco gets their briskets from...

The last Creeks I got was on sell, after KCBS discount, I gave $72 a piece. I ordered three so the shipping was free. Was it worth it, don't know, but I've always been happy with them and willing to feed them to my extended family at a gathering.

Just because a store sells "prime" briskets don't really matter, I'd make sure I could pick and choose, because I've found some choice before that were far and away better than some primes I've seen in a brisket cooler.

As far as brands, if the Cryo says Excel, they are prolly just 50% black hides....

Something to understand about the grade of meat is that the entire animal is graded and not the individual cuts.

https://meat.tamu.edu/beefgrading/

I usually get CAB Choice from Restaurant Depot and I have found them to be consistently good with a reasonable amount of marbling and some good beef. Last year Creekstone Farms did a big sale and I bought 3 Choice briskets and they were better marbled than anything I have seen from Restaurant Depot. On the same note I bought a Prime brisket from Lobels and it was a pretty mediocre piece of meat with much less marbling than what I got from my Creekstone briskets.

So lots of variance in something like a brisket because they are generally looking at the rib-eye when they grade a carcass, and that grading won't necessarily translate to the entire carcass.

The marbling of the individual brisket is not how it graded. Also I think some of it done by computer. Thats why you might fine "choice" steaks that are more prime and find "prime" thats more choice.

Back