THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The_Kapn said:
HUH?

We went to a "Medieval" theme place in Orlando a few years ago. The ones with real jousting and all of that. Cornish for the meat dish--wonderful.:lol:

Midievil Times... with the trained hawks that fly around the audience.. One of my favorites shows in orlando.

back on topic..

Stuffed Cornies.... totally awesome.. we getem in 4 packs and cookem up whole or spatchcocked in the kettle.. they cook real fast and easy.. rubem with rosemary/garlic butter and chow down and serve on top of seasoned rice.

we stuff ours with basil(i think cant remember)/ricotta cheese and breadcrumbs underneath the skin. spatchcocked rubbed with olive oil and salt and pepper. .. good chit

FatDaddy said:
we stuff ours with basil(i think cant remember)/ricotta cheese and breadcrumbs underneath the skin. spatchcocked rubbed with olive oil and salt and pepper. .. good chit

I've done that with chickens stufifng this mixture under the skin, but add some chopped prosciutto and chopped spinach. Damn fine eats.

bbqjoe said:
Scrapping the Game hen idea.
Going to do smoked BBQ meatloaf instead.

Joe, why you scrapping the Game Hen- degree of difficulty or price point?
I would think price point, this would be a fairly cost-intensive entree.

How about doing them "beer-can" style with some of those little tomato juice cans they give you on the airplane? I would try some porter, worchester sauce and a spash or two of red wine vinegar in the little can and a rub (inside and out) on the little bird. Even going low and slow this shouldn't take more than an hour or so, although I'm guessing because I haven't tried it (yet).

qman said:
Joe, why you scrapping the Game Hen- degree of difficulty or price point?
I would think price point, this would be a fairly cost-intensive entree.

I try to have my friday special planned before ordering on Mondays. I just didn't get the right "Feeling" about it. I need more time to plan presentation and exactly what I think would work well as special sides. I felt like I would be rushing it, and I would rather do it better prepared and planned.
Not to say I won't do it in the future.

I did some for Easter Dinner. 6 whole Cornish Hens washed and cleaned, then brined for 2 hours in a mixture containing 1 gallon water, 1 cup kosher salt, 1 cup packed brown sugar, 1/4 cup marsala wine and 2 tablespoons of my special seasoning blend. Each hen was removed from brine, patted dry and stuffed with a sprig of rosemary.

The WSM was prepared with charcoal and pecan wood. The hens were smoked for about 4 hours until the breast temp hit 165 degrees.

Perfect, Sylvie--the only thing I would add would be a half-orange and a small onion per bird in the cavity.
Your birds look great.

Sylvie said:
I did some for Easter Dinner. 6 whole Cornish Hens washed and cleaned, then brined for 2 hours in a mixture containing 1 gallon water, 1 cup kosher salt, 1 cup packed brown sugar, 1/4 cup marsala wine and 2 tablespoons of my special seasoning blend. Each hen was removed from brine, patted dry and stuffed with a sprig of rosemary.

The WSM was prepared with charcoal and pecan wood. The hens were smoked for about 4 hours until the breast temp hit 165 degrees.

Well, I get a "you are not authorized to view this page" notice.
Guess I don't know the right folks :redface:

Sounds great though!!!
What smoker temp took it to 4 hours? Just curious.

TIM

Monkey bread is great stuff. Pull apart buttery bread. I take some frozen Bridgeford brand frozen parkerhouse rolls. Partially thaw them. Cut each in half. Dip each piece in melted butter and arrange in a round bundt type pan. Allow to rise, bake and enjoy. How this got the name Money Bread I don't know.

Sylvie said:
If I remember correctly, I believe I kept the WSM between 225 and 250.
check this link.
http://soulfusionkitchen.blogspot.com/2006/04/easter-dinner-soul-fusion-style.html

Sylvie--great looking birds.

Those are HUGE compared to what I buy. Ours are two sizes. The tiny ones are about the size of a softball or a bit larger. Our big ones are grapefruit size or maybe a bit larger.
Either is just a "serving", depending on your appetite :lol:

Those sizes are what I was thinking when I recommended a "full bird on bed of rice" to Joe :redface:

Thanks for the pics.

TIM

Back