Cornish Game Hens on Goldens' Cast Iron and Weber Kettle

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
It's been a very long time since I've made these, not even certain I've done them out on the grills but since there's a Game Hen throwdown in progress, here goes.

Two birds, spatchcocked. Dry brined, left uncovered in the fridge for a few hours to help dry out the skin. One seasoned with Moose's Chicken Rub #2 (thanks Moose!), the other with a commercial rub (RubYourChicken).

It was pouring rain here in Massachusetts all day long, but the grilling must go on. The last time I used the Goldens' I had difficulties getting it up to temp, so it was time for a cleaning - in the rain. Shoveled out all the lump, vacuumed out the ash and it was good to go. But just in case, I fired up the Weber kettle also.

Both grills set up for indirect, running about 375. Although both birds would easily have fit on the Goldens', I made use of the Weber for bird #2.

Some rainy shots of the hens on the grills, one on the Weber -

the other on the Goldens' -

Rotated them once during the cook, flipped them skin side down near the end of the cook for a few minutes over the direct heat and eventually moved both over to the Goldens'. Total grilling time, around 45 - 50 minutes, pulled at 165 breast temp -

Inside resting up for dinner -

Plated with some carrots, roasted potatoes and skillet corn bread -

Entry shot -

Superb taste! The hens were quite moist. The bird with the commercial rub will be tomorrow's lunches. Moose's rub was really excellent!

I'll definitely have to buy and grill these more often. They grill pretty quickly, it's fun to experiment with different rubs on each hen. I may try some Teriyaki based glaze next time.

Thanks for checking out this post and tonite's dinner!

Regards,
-lunchman

Back